Backyard Ponds

Taking a momentary pause from working/fabricating on my minibike (and related) projects to do some work around the house. Been replacing my hardwood floors, getting the garage/shop setup for some new equipment, and working on the backyard putting in a small pond. We have a few aquariums in the house that have become too small for our fish so looking at moving them outdoors real soon. Have spent the past 2 months at a snails pace digging up an area for an estimated 750 gallon pond. Will have a dry bed stream leading to the bridge area and then a waterfall feature dumping into the larger area of the pond. The bridge is almost 8ft in length and I made sure it was just wide enough to get the lawnmower over (and minibikes) to access the back 1/2 of the yard. Hope to have the liner in over the next couple weeks so I can still have some summer left to work on my 4-wheeler project.

WrenchDad

Do you live in a limestone Quarry ? that's some funky looking ground. What are you going to use as a pump system? The pond and stream bed looks pretty cool. My son has me digging up the back yard right now also (4'X6' 8" sloping to 2' ) will have a liner spitting frog fountain and some fish outlined in sand stone.

Do you live in a limestone Quarry ? that's some funky looking ground. What are you going to use as a pump system? The pond and stream bed looks pretty cool. My son has me digging up the back yard right now also (4'X6' 8" sloping to 2' ) will have a liner spitting frog fountain and some fish outlined in sand stone.
No quarry, just multi colored clay layering imbedded with lots of tree roots. We have great soil here with good drainage. The pump system is a regular submersible which will pump up to a filter box hidden under the bridge. The top of the box opens and dumps the water back down into the pond. I am putting a receptacle box w/switch on the corner rail for the electrical needs. The large area of the pond is about 6x9 and 3 ft deep. There is a second level at 1 1/2 foot to help get in/out for cleaning. We have a mulberry bush/tree right there on the corner and I can already see it becoming a mess.

WrenchDad

drainage. The pump system is a regular submersible which will pump up to a filter box hidden under the bridge. The top of the box opens and dumps the water back down into the pond.

That's a pretty good idea I have a filter box for our's also , I think I may build a waterfall out of sand stone to hide the filter box and serve as return.

buckeye

Really nice.
Seems we can't get away from being kids. Digging holes, playing in water, and riding minis. Awesome!:thumbsup:

That's looking great. I like the bridge. :thumbsup:
I put one in for the wife a few weeks ago and finally just got the kinks worked out, I think.

Like everything else in my yard.... It's made from scrap :laugh:

That's looking great. I like the bridge. :thumbsup:
I put one in for the wife a few weeks ago and finally just got the kinks worked out, I think.

Like everything else in my yard.... It's made from scrap :laugh:
Very clean design, and nicely put together.:thumbsup: What you have done with the landscape and design aspect is the part I'm worried the most about. Hoping I can find some landscape stone and materials which will give it a natural look like you have. Great job!

I was hoping to go deep enough to keep the fish alive in the winter. My folks have one over in Brooklyn, MI which has fish that have survived the last 3 winters with just a small heater/bubbler. Thanks for all the comments.

Here are a few pictures of my pond. Its a bit over grown this year:laugh: I was actually working on some trimming today. Worse thing I ever did was plant ivy.:doah: The pond is 18 years old this year. Same liner:thumbsup:

Here are a few pictures of my pond. Its a bit over grown this year:laugh: I was actually working on some trimming today. Worse thing I ever did was plant ivy.:doah: The pond is 18 years old this year.
Wow! That is bad ass! I've seen some Koi ponds in Japan, and this is up there with the best of them. :thumbsup:

We just enlarged the pond we did last year,still have some landscaping to do.The waterfall is about 3 feet tall made with a crap ton of rocks we had laying around.We may try some fish this year,the pond is about 2 feet deep so they may survive the winter.

Very clean design, and nicely put together.:thumbsup: What you have done with the landscape and design aspect is the part I'm worried the most about. Hoping I can find some landscape stone and materials which will give it a natural look like you have. Great job!

Thanks Firemarshal, try and take a ride in the country. Around hear every field has a stack of rocks in the corner, the farmers normally are happy to be rid of them.

Wow! That is bad ass! I've seen some Koi ponds in Japan, and this is up there with the best of them. :thumbsup:
I agree Manchester, that is an amazing pond you have there!:thumbsup:

Started digging the trench to lay the electrical last night. You would think I lived in the woods with the amount of roots I have to chop through.

Some really great looking ponds here-:thumbsup: