backyarder visitors

I tell you what. They will scare the pee right out of you when you are sitting in a tree stand down in the swamp waiting on the sun to come up. We could shoot an hour before legal sun rise and an hour after legal sun down in the locountry. So you would try to be in the stand an hour before that. I can tell you and some will agree because they have been there and witnessed it but there is nothing on this earth quit as enjoyable as quietly listening to the world come to life minute by minute as the sun rises. I always enjoyed that so much. But when one of those woodpeckers would cut loose in a near by tree, man o man you would jump. I did have a fight over a tree with a squirrel one morning. We both liked the same tree apparently. All I had on me was a 7MM Magnum rifle... I started carrying a pistol after this. Well he sat right above my head and barked the whole time the sun was coming up. When the sun came up enough to find him in the tree. About 5 feet above my head. He got a lead enema..... Made much more mess than I would have imagined. No rifle sights, just a scope so I had to sight down the side of the barrel. I was surprised that I hit him but knew that the concussion would take car of him at least. Oh how I miss those days in the woods. Good memories.

That is all,

Doug

markus

"big lizard in my backyard" Great album :laugh: but we live it down here! Right now with the cold snap they are shutting down and dropping out of the trees as they go into sort of hibernation stage. came across this one on our morning walk. This little guy is still very much alive, I got him to move a little for me, hopefully when it warms up in the next couple of hours he will recover and didn't get hurt too bad on his way down out of the tree!!

size 12 on the shoe size for comparison

He's the biggest one I have seen here in our neighborhood, I have a curly tail living around the house thats about 3/4 his size and a family of Mediterranean Geckos that live in the garage that are about 1/2 size to him (they eat all the bugs) and of course all the little typical Chameleons. Down on Boca Grande Island which is just a couple miles down the road from us (where all the rich people live/Tarpon fishing hotspot) the big Iguanas are all over. I have had to stop in the middle of the road to let 3 footers meander across :laugh:

gbabins1

"big lizard in my backyard" Great album [emoji23] but we live it down here! Right now with the cold snap they are shutting down and dropping out of the trees as they go into sort of hibernation stage. came across this one on our morning walk. This little guy is still very much alive, I got him to move a little for me, hopefully when it warms up in the next couple of hours he will recover and didn't get hurt too bad on his way down out of the tree!!

size 12 on the shoe size for comparison

He's the biggest one I have seen here in our neighborhood, I have a curly tail living around the house thats about 3/4 his size and a family of Mediterranean Geckos that live in the garage that are about 1/2 size to him (they eat all the bugs) and of course all the little typical Chameleons. Down on Boca Grande Island which is just a couple miles down the road from us (where all the rich people live/Tarpon fishing hotspot) the big Iguanas are all over. I have had to stop in the middle of the road to let 3 footers meander across [emoji23]
What the hell kind of lizard is that? I've never seen one of those...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gbabins1

I think its a Cuban Knight Anole, they say they get really black/dark when they are cold or scared.
Wow they are huge. Never seen one like that. Strange, we are only a few hours apart and the lizards here are nothing like that one. Very cool though.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

markus

a pair of Black-bellied whistling ducks stopped by this AM checking out the bug situation. There is a small flock of them that stay stationary here in our neighborhood, and in winter we have tons of them. But this is the first time I have had them in the yard doing some shopping.

This one flew up onto one of our staghorn ferns we have growing around one of the Palm trees right off the deck. Sorry not the cleanest pic, wifes cellphone shot just after dawn while we were on the deck drinking coffee.

They are pretty friendly, wont come up to you direct but are not skiddish. they were ok with hopping up on the deck right by us to get to the staghorn.

65ShelbyClone

There were a bunch of California Quail outside my window about 10min ago. The photo is rough because I had to shoot through a screen with the sun at a low angle.

That's a poultry waterer for the wild birds. :laugh:

Just behind where the quail are is my propane tank...

housing a California Towhee nest.

Its been a busy winter on the front porch. Two bunnies pretty much live here now so we put out timothy grass for them. The bushes are full of poo now and they are starting to nibble on the branches hopefully it doesnt kill them too much. A deer comes by to eat the fallen bird seed sometimes aswell. Lots of birdies too. Sometimes all at once. The bunny doesnt even care about the deer clomping right nexto him.

Attachments