Bad Dog kits questions

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm trying to figure out if the frame that comes with the 5 inch wheels is the same size as the frame in the kit that comes with 6 inch wheels. I tried emailing them, but haven't heard back from them.

I apologize for not having links to what I'm asking about. For some reason this site won't let me include links in my posts. Probably cause I'm a noob.

Twid

I don't see them changing a frame for 5" to a 6" wheels I think it would cost to much to produce a new frame just to go up 1" in the wheels. JMO.

True. But maybe their kit with the 5 inch wheels is their budget line and they decided to include a slightly bigger frame in their kits with the 6 inch wheels, not because the 6 inch wheels make it necessary, but for other reasons.

You are probably right though. I'm over thinking things I think. I just don't want order something that is gonna be to be TOO mini.

Anyone have any experience with these? I tried emailing them, but haven't heard back from the
Contact them the old fashioned way- Pick up a PHONE and CALL them. Too bad they do not offer a bike with full suspension. I suspect they would sell a lot more if they did.
Michael

I did call them. Twice. Rang and rang. So I waited and called again. Again no answer. So I thought I'd ask people on here. Thanks for bumping the thread though.

^I had no problems through about 5 or 6 email exchanges with him. I also asked the questions you did and got responses. Unfortunately, I must have deleted all of his emails (sorry) which contained frame dimensions for the entire range of bikes. As it was, I went with a vintage frame...

pomfish

I am not slagging this company in anyway, but for the money they (and other new frame mfgs.) charge, you could get a better vintage bike if you just have patience and do some leg work. Try the following;

1. Run a classified ad in your local paper. Yes it will cost you a small amount of money but the savings of buying used will more than make up for it.
I prefer to run something like this "Looking for Mini Bikes, running or not as well as engines,wheels etc."
Or just ask for parts and you will be surprised how many complete bike owners still contact you. Being that you advertised for parts only they may be less likely to try to charge a large amount. Either way it gets the contact and gets you on your way.

2. Ask everyone you know at work, Church, etc. If they know you are looking for mini bikes they may be able to alert you when someone has one.
3. Craigslist want ad. This method is pretty whored out now a days so this is last resort. Too many whacko's.
But it is an option and it is free.
4. Swap meets, motorcyle, Farm tractor, etc.

If you lived on the East coast this would not be a problem as we have lots of rollers to be had cheap. So you could consider moving :)
Anyway hope this helps in some way. Just keep looking. Even after you get one, keep looking, keep buying. They will come in bunches.
Later,
Keith

... for the money they (and other new frame mfgs.) charge, you could get a better vintage bike if you just have patience and do some leg work.
Right, that was my thinking when I started my project. Talked with the fellow there at BD and the more I listened, the further I moved away from that idea. It turned-out that buying a "vintage" frame here on OldMiniBikes cost me about the same cash plus some headaches. Story can go both ways. Bad Dog can (should) stand by and help after the sale. Otherwise, you can take a chance with a non-licensed business and purchase the likes from ebay, CL or here.

Of course all this is predicated on buying from the web.

Well, I've learned a few things the last week or so. First, for those that are interested, Robin from bad dog talked to me over the phone and filled me in on the bad dog frame shinola. The frames for the kit that has the five inch wheels is the same size as the frame with the 6 inch wheels. I ordered a kit from them, but they are 10 days out before shipping, so it's gonna be a bit before I get it.
Second, the post listing advice on how to find good deals has a lot of great advice that I should have followed from the start. Specifically, the whole "ask around, post a wanted ad, etc." part. After stalking craigslist for a couple of weeks with no luck, I finally broke down and posted an ad asking for mini bikes, any condition. I got impatient and ended up buying a roller that is going to take way more work than I wanted, but since then, I've gotten 4 or 5 texts from guys saying they've got tons of frames, complete bikes, parts, etc. that they want to get rid of. Between buying the bad dog kit and buying the junky roller, I've spent all I can afford right now, so I missed out on some great deals I'm sure, but at least now I know.
So if any other guys are having a hard time finding mini bikes in your area, definitely try asking around and posting ads. Don't give up just because no one has anything on craigslist or here. There are bikes to be had out there.

One good thing I did gain from this is a guy that contacted me after I posted the ad had two nearly new 30 series torque convertor he had no use for. Sold them both to me for 40 bucks each. One of them is a knock off like you find a lot of on ebay, (I've used these on go karts and they are fine) but the other one is a real deal Comet. Hard to beat a deal like that.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are the guy I tried to get over here to buy a vintage minibike for a fair price after answering your ad wanting a minibike or parts. You bought a kit that was grossly overpriced for what it is honestly, for way less than what you spent you could have had a vintage minibike project and the benefit of my advice and experience. I'm still here and so are the good minibikes, the Bad Dog stuff is OK but it's not as well built as a vintage minibike because pride has gone by the way side. You are not the 1st to complain about one of their kits either. If you do ask for a refund you will pay return shipping which is probably pretty high. So between getting it there and shipping it back you will have spent enough on shipping to buy a good project from me. Sucks I know but you done it to yourself.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are the guy I tried to get over here to buy a vintage minibike for a fair price after answering your ad wanting a minibike or parts. You bought a kit that was grossly overpriced for what it is honestly, for way less than what you spent you could have had a vintage minibike project and the benefit of my advice and experience. I'm still here and so are the good minibikes, the Bad Dog stuff is OK but it's not as well built as a vintage minibike because pride has gone by the way side. You are not the 1st to complain about one of their kits either. If you do ask for a refund you will pay return shipping which is probably pretty high. So between getting it there and shipping it back you will have spent enough on shipping to buy a good project from me. Sucks I know but you done it to yourself.
?? Just because I didn't buy something from you doesn't mean I didn't buy a vintage project. I ended up finding exactly what I was looking for, rebuilt it, sold it and bought another one that I liked even more. It was never my intention to just buy either a vintage project or a Bad Dog kit. I was always going to buy both. One for me and my son to play on and one to have fun rebuilding. Ended up buying 5 different bikes. Kept 3. 2 doodlebugs and the bad dog kit. Bought and sold a Rupp that was close to finished that I just didn't really like as much as the doodlebugs, and sold the old CAT that I restored.

And where are you getting that I am complaining about the Bad Dog kit? Its actually a pretty nice bike. There were a few small issues that I was able to easily correct, but other than that, its a great rider. And it wasn't really that expensive. In fact, by the time I bought all the stuff needed to restore the vintage frame I bought, it was actually cheaper to just buy the bad dog kit. Not to mention the time it took searching for parts, ordering parts, fabricating parts, etc. Plus all of the work that it took. I'm sure you have some nice vintage projects. Good for you. Enjoy them. I'm perfectly happy my Bad Dog kit.

I've bought DB'S 2 at a time for $100 on quite a few occasions , patience is the key , the vintage bikes will come but when you get a chance to swoop on one , don't miss out !

I call BS on your story that you bought five minibikes unless you traveled out of state, I have not even seen five minibikes worth buying in OKC or surrounding areas in any one year period and I look daily because I buy and sell more than anyone in town does or ever has. I have a dozen or more at any given time. And you grossly overpaid for minibike that is not made with pride but made by clock watchers who weld sloppily at best, that is what George 3 meant by get a real minibike. So enjoy your overpriced junk and do never contact me again, I only deal with serious buyers and you are certainly not one.

I call BS on your story that you bought five minibikes unless you traveled out of state, I have not even seen five minibikes worth buying in OKC or surrounding areas in any one year period and I look daily because I buy and sell more than anyone in town does or ever has. I have a dozen or more at any given time. And you grossly overpaid for minibike that is not made with pride but made by clock watchers who weld sloppily at best, that is what George 3 meant by get a real minibike. So enjoy your overpriced junk and do never contact me again, I only deal with serious buyers and you are certainly not one.
WTF are you babbling about? You're an idiot and full of shit. I really dont care what you think. But since you claim to have talked to me, you should still have my contact information. Feel free to get in touch with me and we can see how much you run your mouth in person.

pomfish

Ace, buddy, you are reverting back to the evil Ace of 3 years ago. I thought you changed your ways.
#1 your OK City has an approx. population of 630,000 people, not all of them use Craigslist or Epay. So to insinuate that someone can't find 4 minibikes on their own that you didn't have access to is absurd at best.
No reason to knock what bike the man bought either. It's his money and his business.

Just because he didn't buy a bike from you, now he is full of sheet? Come On Man!
You can do better than this.
Thanks,
Keith

I do not keep the contact info of fools so I do not have it. That and you're not worth the jail time, been there enough to measure the distance between foolishness and good sense. I will not continue with you here so blow your horn all you want fool.
WTF are you babbling about? You're an idiot and full of shit. I really dont care what you think. But since you claim to have talked to me, you should still have my contact information. Feel free to get in touch with me and we can see how much you run your mouth in person.

You're right Keith, I am better than this. However I am used to people being real and this fool danced me around like the 15 year old kids that answer my for sale ads so it got to me to see that he had bought what I consider an inferior product after wasting my time which is precious to me. Plus he missed the chance to meet OKC's biggest minibike enthusiast, best he don't now that he has crossed that line with his very foolish invitation.:hammer:
Ace, buddy, you are reverting back to the evil Ace of 3 years ago. I thought you changed your ways.
#1 your OK City has an approx. population of 630,000 people, not all of them use Craigslist or Epay. So to insinuate that someone can't find 4 minibikes on their own that you didn't have access to is absurd at best.
No reason to knock what bike the man bought either. It's his money and his business.

Just because he didn't buy a bike from you, now he is full of sheet? Come On Man!
You can do better than this.
Thanks,
Keith

Lol. "Missed a chance to meet OKC's biggest mini bike enthusiast"? Bwahahahaha!!!! Wow. It would be such an honor to actually be face to face with someone who has bestowed upon them self such a prestigious title. Lol