Baja mb165 "Brakes are the new Bastard?"

I have bought a 2007 mb165, after a intense 101 time with the engine I have made it like new after sitting for almost 5-6 years the rear brakes are a *****:censure: No matter what I try they squeal or squeak when its going at 2 or 20 mph. I was thinking about changing the whole thing to a disk, but then I would have to weld and I cant weld for S***:censure:. The pads are fine re-sanded, put brake quiet, ect. What i did notice was that inside the housing/caliper it seems there is no washer or rubber insert around the cam pin which may cause it to vibtate?:shrug:.
:sad:
How do I fix my brakes? :shrug:
Any help is much appreciated.:laugh:

Last edited:
Just a bit more data the brake housing that's on the rim is a bit warped can this cause it to?
I was planning to buy a whole new tire + rim with a hub that includes one side for chain other side for brake. I would really appreciate any help there to.
Feel free to ask me any questions I am happy to answer them.:thumbsup:

Sometimes the surface has grooving that makes noise.

Sand the drum with some 120 gritt at 90 degrees too the groves helps.

Another thing that seems to help is to paint the inside of the drum and scrape the excess off.
This seems to deaden the bell like tone the drum makes.

Sometimes the surface has grooving that makes noise.

Sand the drum with some 120 gritt at 90 degrees too the groves helps.

Another thing that seems to help is to paint the inside of the drum and scrape the excess off.
This seems to deaden the bell like tone the drum makes.
Yea tried that it looks blackish still, intern had no effect. It has a pattern on the rim I`m scared if I`m gonna have to replace the WHOLE rim.

@mb165
But will they work at stopping the squeal? :shrug:
They will help....
We have been at this a while and many people have found just sanding and the higher quailty pads are all that was needed.

The groves in the drum act like a screw to make the shoes move sideways and cause a vibration.

The cheaper material in the chinese pads does not break the glaze on the drum very well and this adds to the chatter and screaching you hear

They will help....
We have been at this a while and many people have found just sanding and the higher quailty pads are all that was needed.

The groves in the drum act like a screw to make the shoes move sideways and cause a vibration.

The cheaper material in the chinese pads does not break the glaze on the drum very well and this adds to the chatter and screaching you hear
Okay thanks what pads did you buy for yours? I dont want to spend over $15, just incase it doesn`t work
Did you buy the honda caliper too?

Last edited:
Okay thanks what pads did you buy for yours? I dont want to spend over $15, just incase it doesn`t work
Did you buy the honda caliper too?
I took the shoes to the Honda shop up the road and matched up a set.
Serveral honda products use that same shoe set.

Rear you might try and put a couple of rubber bands on the outside of the drum.
This may dampen things and change the tone.
Not much stopping power in the rear and it won't get very hot.

Front is different and the drum will get hot but if you dammage the paint something is out of adjustment front or rear

Sand the drums.

I took the shoes to the Honda shop up the road and matched up a set.
Serveral honda products use that same shoe set.

Rear you might try and put a couple of rubber bands on the outside of the drum.
This may dampen things and change the tone.
Not much stopping power in the rear and it won't get very hot.

Front is different and the drum will get hot but if you dammage the paint something is out of adjustment front or rear

Sand the drums.
Sanded, did dampen but squeak came back. I literally feel like burning the skin of my feet is the best idea.

I'd get some Honda shoes. Try that. Has to be a better product.

One of the neighborhood guys brakes skreeech horrible. Shoes are fine... so he just runs it. Stops fine. Everyone else.... no problems.

Paint and scrape the inside surface of the drum.
Scrape only where the shoe contacts the metal.
This helps to keep a clean drum inside ( dirty rusty drums collect dirt and squeal more ).
Take a mill file and round off the corner and sharp edges of shoes.
I dont know why this helps but a sharp shoe seems to be noisier than a rounded one.

Sand the inside of the drum
not round and round in the same direction as the brakes rub and the machining was done.
I say this over and over and over because there are groves worn in or machiningmakes that act like the threads on a screw.
These make the shoes move and vibrate.
Sand the drum inside and at 90 deg to these lines.

My drums do not make a sound...
They have not squeeled in years.

delray

also you may want to look at all the areas where the brake pads pivot and moves against. metal on to metal also can cause that noise. i would try cleaning everything with brake cleaner only and then apply a very...very small amounts of brake grease on the movinig parts.
i also had that noise problem before i rebuilt my bike. when i had my bike totally apart that was one thing i did before putting it back together. no noise now.......:shrug: but then again you maybe getting the noise just from the pads only......:shrug: