Ball bearing side cover Versus stock Bearing cover?

Just an old fart learning.
Was wondering, Ball Bearing side cover versus the regular side cover. Why is it better to use?
I have a new HS50 shortblock I wanna to build with a little bit more oomph. Not much, just a tad!
Will an older points model ball bearing cover from a 3hp tec, swap out to the newer elecronic ignition HS50 block?
The older 3hp has a 5/8 crankshaft and the HS50 3/4. What would be needed, and what would be the benefits if any?
Contemplating a billet rod and popping the Gov, and a good aftermarket header. Stock carb.
I know this might sound simplistic to you great wonders on here, but I am sure there are a lot of
newbies to this obsession, and this might just be the thing to get em off the couch, and experiment.
Thanks again!

cfh

The ball bearing side cover/crank was a rupp thing, or ‘ recreation’ Tecumseh. Technically it’s more robust. But in reality, I think it’s over emphasized here. how much you gonna ride your bike, and how hard? Are you turning more than 3700 rpm? Probably not, so keep that in Mind. A bearing side cover is fine for 98% of our minibike applications. Are you that 2% ?

markus

The sidecovers are universal between the small frame H and HS, your crankshaft for the HS would have to be machined or swapped though for a ball bearing. The BB small frame shafts are just a tick over 3/4" on the output journal, instead of the 1" that the bushing shafts have on HS series engines.

Unfortunately the proper ball bearing shaft for the late model HS50 just went to NLA status end of last year. so it will be little tougher and pricier to find. The points only/small taper BB HS50 shafts do still show as available though for now.

If your ball bearing H you want to steal the sidecover from is still assembled (properly), grab the shaft or flywheel and push it in and out, now do the same with a bushing engine (even a new one) and one great advantage becomes very apparent!