Barn find Lil Indian

Andy C

Hey folks

I’m new to the forum and could use some knowledge. I just picked up what appears to be an old Lil-Indian 600 series with a McCulloch MC49-C 2 stroke. Would anyone know what year this unit is? Were they made with the McCulloch? Is the jackshaft a modification? Looks like an add-on fuel tank also I’ve attached some photos if anyone has any information I would be very thankful. I plan to restore the bike

Andy C

Attachments

markus

The bike (roller) Is from 1968, its not a 600 model frame though, it woudl have been a 400, 450, or 500 model originally. The jackshaft assembly is custom made, The Mac is not something they used, and the tank is from a Rupp (1968/69 model, tank mount style would narrow that down more, but that's not something that matters for your application)

Andy C

The bike (roller) Is from 1968, its not a 600 model frame though, it woudl have been a 400, 450, or 500 model originally. The jackshaft assembly is custom made, The Mac is not something they used, and the tank is from a Rupp (1968/69 model, tank mount style would narrow that down more, but that's not something that matters for your application)
Thanks for all that info. I will strip it all down once see that the engine will run. Thanks

Because of the tendency for these engines to fry bearings after a long lay up, you should pull the carb and stuffer off and have a look at the rod bearings. If they are in good shape, not rusted, and hopefully oily, squirt some oil liberally on them before closing up and trying to start.

Which brings me to the point of why I bothered to mention this: If you plan on keeping the engine, go ahead and do an overhaul on it. If you plan on selling the engine, pull it off and sell it as having not been run. If you are going to keep it, you will want to freshen it. Anyone you sell it to will want the same, if not an overall restoration. No need to see if it will run for curiosity sake, when frying the crank is likely.