BBQJOE's Seat Mod

Being as there's no rear suspension, the need for a bit better ride became apparent.

IMG_3337.JPG

First, I removed the seat and the two other nuts, including the big rubber chunk.

IMG_3340.JPG

Then I fabbed up this bracket to fit over the bolts that protrude.

IMG_3338.JPG
I found a few of these compression springs at the hardware store for about $2 bucks apiece. I couldn't find anything shorter, but I'm willing to bet some valve springs from a dead engine might work too.

IMG_3339.JPG

So then I cut one in half using a smoke wrench, and welded the cut end to itself. In hindsight, welding the spring probably wasn't necessary.

IMG_3343.JPG

I also found two full thread bolts, and wingnuts in my bolt can. One doesn't need to use wingnuts, it just happened they were the only things that would fit the bolts.
I ground down the center section of the bolts removing the thread so they would slide easily slide up and down in their holes on the seat mount.

IMG_3345.JPG

I then ran the bolts through the back of my bracket, and secured them with a few nuts, and replaced the main nut from under the seat to the center bolt.

IMG_3336.JPG

I previously used the bracket to mark for the holes in the seat mount, and drilled them. I then went back and gave the holes a little reaming in a sideways fashion pointing towards the rear of the bike.
Don't get confused over my milk crate brackets in the picture as well.

IMG_3347.JPG

I placed the springs over the bolts, and by accident the springs fit perfectly over the nuts.

IMG_3350.JPG

And here's the end product. I haven't ridden it yet because I'm still painting some parts on the bike. I'm sure it will work just fine. If the original center bolt doesn't end up going through the original hole upon compression, I may cut it off, or put another spring over it. I made sure the wingnuts wont come off with a little hot glue.
I was going to buy a Bobber seat, but they all appear to come from China with a months lead time.
If this fails to do what I want, I still may go that route. But this way I can return it to normal with no problem at all if I need to.

Wow you would think torching and welding the springs would weaken them but maybe not enough to affect anything.
Looks good, nice job! I'm not crazy about the look of the wing nuts but if they are functional for "suspension tuning" then I can overlook that.

Wow you would think torching and welding the springs would weaken them but maybe not enough to affect anything.
Looks good, nice job! I'm not crazy about the look of the wing nuts but if they are functional for "suspension tuning" then I can overlook that.
Thank you sir! I kinda thought the heat might affect things too, so I went in fast and hot, and got the job done before the rest of the metal had a chance to know what was going on.

The bolts and wingnuts were for another project, damned if I can remember what for though, but obviously they didn't get used for it.
So they came in handy for this one. As I said, I haven't given it a test yet. It might be a few more days until the paint is fully dried on the tank, fenders, and TC cover. There could be further mods or adjustment.

I might just wake up in the middle of the night, and tear the whole thing apart and paint it. I think I have some Mexican in me because I'm really starting to like spray painting stuff.

Wow that's amazing how you sneak up on metal like that, you are like some kind of spring ninja.
Well you kinda have to do it that way, otherwise they tend to burn up a bit like a sparkler.

You oughta have seen the way I used to sneak up on hills in semi with the lights off!

Nice mod Joe , that's pretty neat. :thumbsup: Does the center bolt hit the seat mount? Looks like it would after riding it, may need to cut some of the excess off so you don't have that chance.

Nice mod Joe , that's pretty neat. :thumbsup: Does the center bolt hit the seat mount? Looks like it would after riding it, may need to cut some of the excess off so you don't have that chance.
So far the bolt doesn't hit the mount. The springs are just stout enough so that my weight doesn't quite compress the all the way on a bump. If it does, I might have to cut it shorter. My idea is to be able to return the bike back to stock easily if need be.