Beautiful 1968 Rupp TT500 on E Bay right now!

Midyrman

Even for a Bonanza guy like me it's a gorgeous bike. Just awesome. Would make my Bonanzas jealous if parked in my garage!

Rupp 72

Gorgeous bike! Just needs a set of original rear shocks. I wonder what paint color that is specifically? The supposedly original color i got from blackwidowmotorsports is a little darker than that, i am curious to what the exact original color was.

The clutch isn't original either but that's understandable. They get eaten up quick if the chains aren't maintained. Still very well done. Should fetch a pretty penny.

Rupp 72

The clutch isn't original either but that's understandable. They get eaten up quick if the chains aren't maintained. Still very well done. Should fetch a pretty penny.
Yeah goog eye Blain! That has the comet 2 speed setup when originally it came with max torque clutches. In my opinion the original max torque 2 speed setup is much better.
  • The max torque used a 3/4" jackshaft as apposed to a 5/8"
  • The max torque locking bearing has much more contact area reducing slip and wear
  • the max torque 2 speed engagues based on the speed the bike is going where as the comet clutch engagues based on engine RPMs
  • and i am personally not a big fan of snap rings wich are not used on the max torque setup

Wow! It must be list your TT500 on E Bay day today. Another one just showed up.

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

That one is a survivor but still a very nice bike. I was wondering when these were going to start showing up here. They came from an auction that happened not too long ago. This one has the speedo, windshield, and possibly a Delorto carb (hard for me to tell). It also looks to have the comet secondary clutch however. I personally am not a fan of the windshield but some people like them. I like to have the breeze whistling thru the few hairs I have left when I ride. :laugh:

capguncowboy

Wow! It must be list your TT500 on E Bay day today. Another one just showed up.

View attachment 79266

View attachment 79267

That one is a survivor but still a very nice bike. I was wondering when these were going to start showing up here. They came from an auction that happened not too long ago. This one has the speedo, windshield, and possibly a Delorto carb (hard for me to tell). It also looks to have the comet secondary clutch however. I personally am not a fan of the windshield but some people like them. I like to have the breeze whistling thru the few hairs I have left when I ride. :laugh:
Yep, I also saw that one. I'd rather have a survivor and that's a REALLY nice example. He originally had the "Best Offer" option on his listing. He turned down a $2000 offer about a minute after I submitted it. Since then, he removed that option from his listing.

Rupp 72

I was following that auction wich took place memorial day weekend. If i recall he bought it for between $2100 and 2400. I could probably go back and check.

capguncowboy

Aw crap, i meant to say labor day haha. And it was for sale at a real auction. There was an entire collection of rupps sold at this auction all in similar condition. here is the link. 1968 Rupp TT500 Mini Bike - Auburn Fall
Well, that explains why he shot down my offer of $2000.

Honestly, if I was buying a bike to flip and make a profit, I'd probably start with something that cost less than $2300. I know there are people that will pay more, but the risk vs reward is too imbalanced

Rupp 72

I would value that around the $3000 he was asking personally. Doesn't mean i would spend that much but it is a very collectible bike. And if he was trying to profit, why not take off the accessories and sell them separately? That same carb sold for $450 just last month

Jamie1972

Wasn't that a buy now for 3,000.00? (The Second one...)
I think he realized the options his has compared to the 1st ones current price of 2700.00+
He may feel his will fetch more.......Thoughts?

capguncowboy

Wasn't that a buy now for 3,000.00? (The Second one...)
I think he realized the options his has compared to the 1st ones current price of 2700.00+
He may feel his will fetch more.......Thoughts?
The market is really crazy right now. All it'll take is two guys with deep pockets that REALLY want it. I know a guy that just sold a gas tank for nearly a grand :deal:

I would value that around the $3000 he was asking personally. Doesn't mean i would spend that much but it is a very collectible bike. And if he was trying to profit, why not take off the accessories and sell them separately? That same carb sold for $450 just last month
I would agree with Nate on this one. I don't think that price is out of line. Both are really nice bikes actually. If I wanted one I would make it happen.