beer

Greetings beer lovers..anyways i don't spend alot on beer, :001_rolleyes:I've been a Buschhhhh! beer drinker awhile..to me has a good taste vs price..so today saw a new to me beer..Hurricane cat 5 caught my eye..being from Floriduh i checked it out..my review ..dayum! it's 8.1% alc./vol. malt liquor and really tastes smooth..i usually like lagers...anyways if you never tried ..it's not very filling.:laugh: 6b2002d6-26bc-46cc-ab5d-44e0b0cea335_1.c854307ede2e3bfdf042a26214020277.jpeg

Last edited:
I usually like lagers...anyways if you never tried ..it's not very filling.
This is still a lager. Lager or Ale nomenclature is a reference to the fermentation temperature of the yeast, ie an ale yeast or a lager yeast.

Ales came about during the middle ages because refrigeration didn't exist outside of a glacier. Most beer back then "was" ale.

Later on, ales were used during the Colonial period, for example in India when during the British occupation, kegs of beer had to survive the journey. They started out on ships with ale yeast, fermentation under way, then hit Calcutta and was trucked on hand carts to the troops in the northern area of what is Pakistan today.

Lower temp lagers were more rare, except for northern Europe obviously.

That piss you are drinking is a lager, with it's lower temperature requirement (like most commercially brewed beer in America) with adjuncts added to increase alcohol percentage by volume. This generally means "rice." However most American swill is already brewed with rice anyway, along with a barley wort. (Starch turns to sugar turns to alcohol)

And yes, I am THIS knowledgeable on beer, however in my curmudgeonly, old man attempt to impress the living shit out of everyone with a verbose treatise on bullshit, I did not require "google."

And America? PLEASE stop overhopping your ales. Ale does not mean "hoppy." India Pale Ale (IPA) described above does require more hops for authenticity, because England to India was so distant, that even the higher temp ale yeasted swill tasted like shit without adding a bunch of yeast once it reached India for the troops.

LMAO! Later on I'll read this and wonder why I posted under the influence of pain pills. I was a home brewer for a few years. Really enjoyed it.

SAS289

Nice. But at 8.1% I would have to place a limit on myself. Let's just say I wouldn't be in very good shape after a six pack. When I drink with my buddy down the street we stick with Natural Light. That way we are not limited in the quantity that we drink. :drinkup:

Agreed , I drink way too many to drink that shit :laugh: it would kill me , lol . Ask [MENTION=26262]David wulf[/MENTION] how I drink beer :drinkup:

Nice. But at 8.1% I would have to place a limit on myself. Let's just say I wouldn't be in very good shape after a six pack. When I drink with my buddy down the street we stick with Natural Light. That way we are not limited in the quantity that we drink. :drinkup:
Guess that's why is a 4 pack..hehe

This is still a lager. Lager or Ale nomenclature is a reference to the fermentation temperature of the yeast, ie an ale yeast or a lager yeast.

Ales came about during the middle ages because refrigeration didn't exist outside of a glacier. Most beer back then "was" ale.

Later on, ales were used during the Colonial period, for example in India when during the British occupation, kegs of beer had to survive the journey. They started out on ships with ale yeast, fermentation under way, then hit Calcutta and was trucked on hand carts to the troops in the northern area of what is Pakistan today.

Lower temp lagers were more rare, except for northern Europe obviously.

That piss you are drinking is a lager, with it's lower temperature requirement (like most commercially brewed beer in America) with adjuncts added to increase alcohol percentage by volume. This generally means "rice." However most American swill is already brewed with rice anyway, along with a barley wort. (Starch turns to sugar turns to alcohol)

And yes, I am THIS knowledgeable on beer, however in my curmudgeonly, old man attempt to impress the living shit out of everyone with a verbose treatise on bullshit, I did not require "google."

And America? PLEASE stop overhopping your ales. Ale does not mean "hoppy." India Pale Ale (IPA) described above does require more hops for authenticity, because England to India was so distant, that even the higher temp ale yeasted swill tasted like shit without adding a bunch of yeast once it reached India for the troops.

LMAO! Later on I'll read this and wonder why I posted under the influence of pain pills. I was a home brewer for a few years. Really enjoyed it.
Great read Dave :thumbsup: And it got me thinking about the beer I drink, I drink Molson Ice and have for years and while I know it used to be imported from Canada it turns out that ever since they sold out to Coors it is now made in TX :doah: This is what I found when I read the bottle ......"5.6%alc/vol/Ice Brewed for a smooth, full bodied taste /Brewed and packaged under the supervision of Molson Coors Canada, Toronto, Canada by Molson USA, Golden, Co 2011/ Union Made-Product of the USA- ALE in TX :eek:ut:

I love Hoppy IPA’s. Once you drink Good Beer, you’ll wonder why you ever drank Crap like Bud, Miller etc. Try Lagunitas, Bear Republics Racer 5 , Sierra Nevada. I’ll admit to drinking Coors light when I’m wrenching Because them IPA’s are high in alcohol 7 to 9.75!

Great piece, Dave. Some of us do enjoy a hoppy ale, however. No shortage of it in these parts.
(grin) Yes indeed. While brewing in Japan, I used "Cascade" hops. I would argue that the PNW craft brewers were first, and best, yet all must concede to the market.

There is much to be enjoyed with a fine lager, which requires a gentler touch. There is no accounting for taste. For example, the venerable lemon or lime, served with Mexican beers, because originally the gringo beer drinker would worry about getting sick from putting his lips on a dirty Mexican beer bottle. So vendors started selling them with lemon or lime, giving the Gringo the option of taking a citrusy swipe to sterilize the neck. It was all BS, and salesmanship.

Then the citrus slices ended up "in" the beers by statesiders who didn't understand the purpose of their Corona sporting a lemon wedge. And now "that" has turned into actual beer flavors you can select that include LEMON.

But like the hop used to mitigate a nasty overland trip in a keg of ale, the lemon has come to symbolize something it never was, and consumer tastes have adapted to the myth. The entire subject of beer and mead making over the centuries have been woven around the historical events of human development, and I see no reason why they should change now.:thumbsup:

Way too much overthinking on such a simple pleasure. If I have to have a PHD in history to know I am NOT drinking swill I would rather drink Koolaid (w/Crown Royal added). If it tastes good and makes you feel good then drink it. I am not about to swirl it in a big glass with my nose and assorted boogers hanging over it.
JMO
Fred