Beginner tip from a beginner - Stripping Paint

I went to many hardware stores (Big Box) and asked whats the best thing I could use to get Powder coat paint off my doodle bug and no one had any tips for me.

So Im giving the tip this time.

Klean aircraft remover works great. Let it sit on the paint for about 20 min or untill its almost dry. Then use a wood shim to remove the paint. The wood is soft so you do not have to worry about scratching anything. Dont believe me. Here is the proof.

Will you be re-powder coating it or repainting it? Curious as to why the need to remove all of the powder coating down to bare metal?
Michael

If the original powder coat is intact and not flaking off I would just clean off the rust, grease, grime and dirt, then de-gloss the entire surface with 400-600 grit sandpaper. Finally, wipe down all surface real good with paint thinner/mineral spirits (keep changing your cloth surface) and let it dry real good before you prime and paint. It just seems like a LOT of unnecessary work to remove the powder coat!
Michael

Last edited:

rugblaster

I generally think it is best to take it all off. Depends on how much time and determination you have.

I was told a long time ago, your paint job is only as good as the previous step. If you skip a step, well, you know.