Bent Front Fork

Does anyone know of somewhere (shop or fellow mini biker) in Southern California that can straighten out a front fork? Any "at home" methods that dont require a large press?

trinik7597

hey riso you got a picture it might help to know exactly what you are dealing with :thumbsup: there are a few ways you can straighten them with out a press

hey riso you got a picture it might help to know exactly what you are dealing with :thumbsup: there are a few ways you can straighten them with out a press
The bend is slight. a picture wouldn't show much. Its like a beat pool cue at a bar. The problem is that it doesn't allow the spring inside to cycle because it hits the outer shaft.

I have tried to bend it myself but short of being able to put it into a press with the exact cut out, I cannot.

Leave em laying out in your driveway , your wife will run them over , they will straighten right out , but , you tell her she ruined them thus allowing you to buy more mini bike stuff !There was a post about guys actually using a floor jack some pieces of wood and using a truck bumper to improvise for a shop press ? Good Luck

Leave em laying out in your driveway , your wife will run them over , they will straighten right out , but , you tell her she ruined them thus allowing you to buy more mini bike stuff !There was a post about guys actually using a floor jack some pieces of wood and using a truck bumper to improvise for a shop press ? Good Luck
That was markus. Maybe he will post it up again or the link

markus

I have used my SUV to flatten down frames before, I dunno how doable a set of forks would be doing that, and of course its not the safest/smartest thing to do......but I am a born and bred Flori-duh redneck so its all good :wink:

depending on what kind of forks they are and where the actual bend is you may be able to work it a little with a long cheater bar in a bench vise or maybe head out to the truck and utilize the the receiver hitch hole.

I keep an old handle form a broken hydraulic floor jack in my toolbox, makes for a great cheater bar.

you just have to be gentle at first sort if test the waters to make sure your not going to ding into the tubing or if it will make it bend in another spot causing an S or something.

WrenchDad

I used ratchet chain binders on my Bird thunder bird. I put a chain thru the frame and back wheel (I have 5 spoke wheels ) and secured it to mu truck hitch so it was anchored
then put the chain binder hook on the leg of the fork (if your forks aren't flattened on the bottom wrap chain around each one) and put the hooks on the chain. then put the other end hook on a chain connected to something solid. then crank each side a couple of clicks one then the other to keep them even. My forks were bent at the tree and the straightened right out. I can show you pics of the set up tomorrow in the day light(i'll have to take pictures)

I would use a shop press and lots of short 2/4s or fence posts but with a 7/8" bar inside bent to mimic the bent and straighten them together till both are straight. I bend forks back with a slow cold bend in an old 50s press on casters. I use boards unless I have a good fork plate to bend against, you can even use a wood bit and make tube rests by splitting at the holes. You can always improvise, I've run over stuff with trucks and even jumped up and down on a frame and it worked for the most part but had to be repeated by someone with better balance.

Last edited: