Best foam for seat?

Made the plywood base, got the t nuts installed, ordered and received the seat cover and just need some good foam. Does anyone know the best type of foam to use for mini bike seats?
Thanks everyone! The rebuild is almost done! Can't wait to get the seat done and I'll post up some photos, I'd like to see what you guys think!
Thanks,
John

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Divouneh

I had the same question as John [emoji57], quite surprise by the cost [emoji857]!
Thanks for the advices [emoji106].

Divouneh,

I do mine in layers. How thick depends on how tall you want the seat. I normally start with a base of the anti fatigue mat you get at harbor freight, https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html. One or 2 layers of it depending on the target thickness and desired firmness. I then use the rebond foam to build it up to within one inch of final thickness. If you want some shape to it this is the time to use an electric knife to carve it up. The final layer is 1 inch soft foam, You can find sheets of it at wal-mart, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Morning-Glory-Foam-Sheet-24-L-x-96-W-x-1-H/19397512.

To bond it together I use 3m super 77 spray glue.

Everybody is different but this to me gives a nice firmness without feeling like you are sitting on a board. The floor mat base helps when you bottom out. Instead of the foam all compressing and you hit the base it cushions a bit. The final soft foam helps when you put the cover on. You can pull it here/there and it will hide minor imperfections. Of course if the cover is totally sewn all jacked up nothing can hide that. I use the same method to build boat seats.

Last edited:
If you like something a bit different I've used skateboard decks as the base before. Leaves a nice lil kick up in the rear. Might not be fitting for somebody that wants a totally vintage look.

I'm going to take some photos and get some foam - I should have the seat and the bike finished up this weekend or just thereafter!

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

Yep, mixed multi rebond is like thick carpet foam and works very well and comes in several thicknesses and density ratings. I got a chunk at a garage sale someone used to lie down in their pickup till they sold it. I've been saving it for a great seat.
Another foam that works well is high-quality "rebond" carpet padding. You build it up in layers by gluing it together with spray can contact cement.
https://www.foammart.com/p-789-rebond.aspx
Michael

I got seat foam from hobby lobby but not happy with it. Going to redo when I get time and better padding. I think I will go with the carpet pad idea! That or a yoga mat foam. It's high density too...

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

Divouneh

I did with yoga carpet foam, 3 levels stick together. After you adjust with a cuter...
I will do the same for my next project. Seat cover :42 boxes at the door.

Divouneh,