Best heavy duty travel carriers & covers for Mini bikes

I74

We are eventually going to permanently hit the road in a 5th wheel home on wheels, within a few years.
I plan on getting an aluminum electric wheel chair/ scooter carrier w/ ramp, from Harbor Freight,, to haul the 2 Mini bikes.
Seems like a really good value for around 150 bucks w/ coupon, from the descriptions & reviews.
They ought to fit side by side on that just fine, with them facing opposite directions.

Have been also looking for a really good heavy duty all weather cover, that will cover them both nicely,, & found a site called - ''Seal skin covers''.
The size they offer to cover both, is for a small ATV.
A bit pricy, but the best I have found so far,, to keep the bikes from the elements.
I

I74

Would a BBQ cover be a better fit?
That's exactly what I was originally looking at Tom.
I work part time mornings @ Lowes. Am the Outdoor power equipt, / BBQ guy,, ect. ect. ''LOL''
The char broil ''rip stop'' series of covers would be awesome, but are not wide enough, unfortunately.
Average width on most grill covers is around 24'.
The handle bars on the bikes are almost 28' long.
Length & height on a 2-3 burner cover is about perfect though.

Might look @ riding mower covers, also.
Good idea on that one Robert.
Husqvarna makes some nice ones for their stuff.
I

I74

Just checked out the Husky heavy duty lawn tractor covers.
They have elastic pull cords in the bottom hem, adjustable top,, reinforced vent to help from ballooning,,, & nice storage bag.
A bit big, but for around 80 bucks,, I could make one of those work,, especially with putting extra tie down straps around the whole works ect.
The bikes would definitely be covered well. ;) H310-1137.png

I74

Here's a pic of the aluminum carrier from Harbor Freight.
Has 656 reviews & 4 stars, ''not to shabby''.
It attaches to a 2' receiver, has a cap. of 500 lbs.,, & only weighs 55lbs.

They also list it as a ''scooter carrier''. ;)

Attachments

I74

Added,,
figure AUW with Bikes, & carrier ect. hanging off the back of the 5th wheel,, would be around 250 lbs.

Regarding the hitch rack...we just bought the same model, to carry our generator on when not pulling the utility trailer. We found our local store was out of stock...and said "they'd not be getting any more". We located ours at another HF further away.

My point is, if your local HF has it in stock, and you can afford to, grab it sooner as opposed to later, in the event this product is not going to be available thru HF in the future.

Also, make sure you get, and use, one of their 20% off coupons online, to save some money when you purchase it.

I recommend getting the anti rattle/sway device also... it’s like $8 and makes a works of difference...the only issue I found, and I used it at windber this year, was the size of mini bike you can haul....my hitch hauler is only 49” long.....o ended up putting bikes in back of truck and everything else on hauler

Just checked out the Husky heavy duty lawn tractor covers.
They have elastic pull cords in the bottom hem, adjustable top,, reinforced vent to help from ballooning,,, & nice storage bag.
A bit big, but for around 80 bucks,, I could make one of those work,, especially with putting extra tie down straps around the whole works ect.
The bikes would definitely be covered well. ;) View attachment 252768
Here's a sturdy tractor cover for $37, two for the price of one Husky cover (store the spare in the RV). I've used this cover on my lawn tractor for many years, not the same one, I've replaced it a few times. They last a few years for me with it being out in the sun/weather 24/365, the black fades to gray over time but the cover holds up extremely well. If not out in the weather all the time, I think one would last for decades. The description says it has a soft lining, but it's only in the area where it would contact the hood of a lawn tractor; it also has some heat shield material in the muffler area (bottom front).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EBKKKK/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We are eventually going to permanently hit the road in a 5th wheel home on wheels, within a few years.
Something you should research: It's illegal to live in an RV full-time (federal law). I researched it a few years ago when I was approaching retirement, after seeing mention of it online. What I found was that it's due to houses being built to HUD specs and RVs being built to DOT specs, an RV is classified as a vehicle. The government doesn't consider an RV/vehicle as being suitable for full-time residence. There is a limit on the number of days per year that it's legal to stay in an RV, I don't remember the number for sure but it may be 90 days. I don't feel like researching it again since I gave up on the idea after learning that and learning how RV-unfriendly many areas of the country are becoming (search RV ban).

Something you should research: It's illegal to live in an RV full-time (federal law). I researched it a few years ago when I was approaching retirement, after seeing mention of it online. What I found was that it's due to houses being built to HUD specs and RVs being built to DOT specs, an RV is classified as a vehicle. The government doesn't consider an RV/vehicle as being suitable for full-time residence. There is a limit on the number of days per year that it's legal to stay in an RV, I don't remember the number for sure but it may be 90 days. I don't feel like researching it again since I gave up on the idea after learning that and learning how RV-unfriendly many areas of the country are becoming (search RV ban).
LMAO....I just bought a new camper in August...of course I’m in WV...and the first thing out of the salesman’s mouth was is this going to be a permanent residence...I said hell no, he continued to state that WV allows you to live in them....I guess it’s somewhat better than under a bridge....

I74

My Dad had a spot down in Harlingen Tx. for years,, up till late March of 2018.
He used to park from Sept. till April, & also had a mailing address, with his lot no.
Of course he owned a home also, up in Iowa.
I know California is getting ''a lot'' worse about RV's ect. ect., which sucks,, because I' am originally from there, & wanted to go back for a bit.
There is a saying that I discovered awhile back,, - ''Come to California on vacation,, leave California on probation''.
Unfortunately because of that, & the horror stories from RVer's on You tube ect..,, that State Is going to be just a memory. :(

Read a few months back, that Montana has a deal where you can register there with the State, for full time use.
Thought I also read that Nevada & a few other states, have, or had,, similar offerings.
Maybe that's changed ??

I would think as long as you had a listing for a residential address somewhere, how would the Government know how long you stay in your RV?,

I'll check it out.
I

Here's a pic of the aluminum carrier from Harbor Freight.
Has 656 reviews & 4 stars, ''not to shabby''.
It attaches to a 2' receiver, has a cap. of 500 lbs.,, & only weighs 55lbs.

They also list it as a ''scooter carrier''. ;)
Have you ever followed a truck down the road with one of these rocking right to left all the time? I wouldn't buy aluminum but I understand your thinking about it. It will fatigue eventually and with it 100 percent out of site behind the camper it would be gone and possibly never missed if someone isn't kind enough to alert you. I would prefer a steel unit and I would anchor each end with a turnbuckle to lock it solidly to the bumper.

I built a rear bumper with a 2'' receiver for a friends 5th wheel camper many years ago. All he hauled was a simple bicycle rack with 2 bikes. He ended up locking it with 2 small ratchet straps because it moved so much. There is a lot of distance from the axle to the rear bumper on a camper verses a truck. It just adds bounce and flex to anything hung on the back. Just something to concider.

I74

Thanks for the info Fomogo. :)
I was already figuring some ''hefty'' securing / stability mods would be in order.
I definitely need to get over to HF, & take a close look @ their offering, before making a final decision.
Have not seen any mention of structural failure on that particular model, from the Bazillion reviews that I have read on it so far.
I do get what you are saying though,, as one of my job professions was a metal fabricator & welder.
Worked ''a lot'' with aluminum on misc. racing applications ect.
I

I don't think it will be an issue if you lock it with turnbuckles or fabricated brackets.

You might consider a flat sided shoe for the front tires to index in when they bikes are loaded. Would make them more stable. I think the less movement you have the better they will survive the ride.

Just don't do like my friend did and build a shed just long enough for the camper and then add the bumper... He forgot about the bike rack and poked a hole in the back wall...

If you want something permanent, why not extend the frame, put a platform and/or a pair of bike rails on it. Put a bumper, lights, and your tag on the back end of it. It would be way more secure than something stuck into a receiver, you wouldn't need to worry about anything swaying or breaking off. You could mount a camera on the back of the camper to keep an eye on things, there are wireless ones available so you don't even need to wire it (even though that's your forte).

I74

A rear camera is a definite must. ;)
Am really liking around a 2012 Couger 315 RES 5th wheel, w/ the Hi country artic pkg.

I74

Actually the 2014 Cougar Hi country 315 RES offering is the one.
Some of them have slide out cargo racks, with the bumper ''of course'' attached to the rear of it.
What I have read so far, is that it's a really ''bad'' design, with lot's of failures.
Am thinking that I could fab up a tons better ''steel'' square tube carrier ''sub frame'' assy, that resembles theirs, to still go inside each trailer frame channel, then also use the hitch receiver, and fasten the carrier on top of all of it.
You would basically have 3 hard mounting points for the carrier.
I have made stuff like this before, & never failed.