Best Method for Identifying a Couple Thousand Vintage Mini Bike Parts

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and pretty new to mini bikes, so bear with me. I fix, restore, and part out vintage motorcycles from 1965-85 and recently bought a large collection of motorcycle and mini bike parts, mainly for the Harley Aermacchi parts. The seller wouldn't sell anything separately, it was an all or nothing deal, so I was bought his collection including the mini bike parts and a couple mini bikes. He was able to tell me that the majority of the parts are either Harley, Rupp, Artic Cat, Coleman, Chaparral, or Gemini. I was able to pick out most the Aermaccchi stuff but most of the rest is a mystery to me. From years of experience working on motorcycles, I can identify many parts by sight, but I'm wondering if there are links to parts manuals you can share that I could flip through to identify parts, or if there are identifying features that would indicate the make of a parts. For example many 60's and 70's Suzuki parts have "Made in Japan" printed in a unique font, so if you randomly pick up a part and see that specific font, you know it's from a Suzuki. I've attached some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm sorting through.

There are about 50 wheels or tires, some that have rims and others that don't. I can google around to determine which size wheels fit which bikes generally, so I'm less worried about identifying the wheels.

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Where to start, just too many parts I recognize but even more I do not. I see Arco wheel centers for the Bushwhacker, Bonanza 8" spinner, Lil Indian frame, Coleman fuel tank, Tri Star wheels, Clone headers, Gemini wheels, Grimeca spoke wheels, 8hp briggs tank, Awesome round chrome tank, Minnesota mystery bike forks, Simplex wheels. I could go on but I bet Markus can triple or better the amount of stuff I recognized. You should post bigger photos, I am unable to enlarge them from the jpeg data. You have some cool stuff there for sure, I bet if you laid it out better and took comprehensive photos and let Markus go over the stuff and ID it he'd do it for a few parts sent his way. He would not screw you over either, he is totally honest and beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned.

buckeye

Man, just send that stuff here and I will figure it out!!:laugh:

Get ready for you pm box to explode.

We can help you identify most everything.
And if you are willing to ship, which appears with your motorcycle parting out, you would.
Folks will buy stuff like crazy.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
Get pics, prices, and the like and folks will buy, buy, but, I am,sure.

Last edited:
I saw that bunch of stuff and thought about it but didn't want any of the Harley parts lol. If you want to get rid of the lot and don't feel like shipping shoot me a Private Message:thumbsup:

markus

That headlight/horn combo I have seen on a Benelli/motoguzzi sold bike in the late 70's I dont think it was offered here stateside though (it was like an Italian yamaha chappy-kickstart moped with smaller tires) It may have been off an import moped or something here, The Dansi coil was something Benelli/broncco/aermacchi and alot of other itailan imports were using, funky weldon is just a marker light I think. I dig that horse marking on that taillight, It reminds me Of the Jan Ho industries zebra but its not exact so I doubt it was something they sold.

We would be potential buyers for aermachhi/shortster parts lots and mini bike parts lots but your also 19hrs one way from us so the cost for us to come up and get them might hit hard unless a driver we know is in the area.

Mike,
Is that the stuff from Menomonee Falls/Germantown area? I remember that craigslist listing but I was unable to buy it at the time. I live in Muskego and could come by and help go through the stuff and identify it. Send me a PM or email me at lzplin@aol.com

Tom

Last edited:
Set a date and have an auction for the lot.... Lots of locals on this forum would come and buy it all. By the time you sold it all piece by piece you would waste a lot of time listing it if you don't know what its worth... Nothing worse than listing a .99 cent item and not getting a bid.... These locals offering to come and help could just buy it all and make sure it gets to a good home. They are good guys and wouldn't screw you.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've spent today sorting and identifying parts. I've gotten a couple offers to buy the whole lot (for cheap) but since I paid pretty good money for all the parts, I'll have to sell some parts separately to keep from loosing big on this deal since the Aermacchi parts I want to keep are a small portion of the whole lot. I'm still responding to the PM that were sent and I plan on taking up some of the locals on their offers to look over the parts.

My basic plan is to meet up with a couple local mini bike guys and also to take better pictures of the parts, a couple dozen at a time. Eventually, I plan on selling what remains in a big lot and if it all works out, hopefully you guys will get some good deals and I'll end up getting a good deal on the Aermacchi parts. If I should move this thread to a different forum, let me know.

Exhaust Parts 1-5
1?
2?
3 70 rupp Roadster heat shield
4?
5?

SDC19483.JPG SDC19482.JPG SDC19481.JPG SDC19480.JPG SDC19479.JPG SDC19478.JPG SDC19477.JPG

Exhaust Pipes 6-9
6 JC penney El tigre or Sears Roper Exhaust Extension
7 ?
8 is stamped "CHAPARRAL-KRIZMAN SPARK ARRESTOR Model KS-250" It looks like ST80 exhaust to me.
9 unknown header pipe
SDC19489.JPG SDC19488.JPG SDC19487.JPG SDC19486.JPG SDC19485.JPG

Parts 10-14 Retek Cheetah Parts
10 Chain Guard
11 Rear Fender
12 Front Fender
13 Rear Wheel
14 Front Wheel
SDC19500.JPG SDC19499.JPG SDC19498.JPG SDC19497.JPG SDC19496.JPG SDC19495.JPG SDC19494.JPG SDC19493.JPG SDC19492.JPG SDC19491.JPG SDC19490.JPG

Last edited:
If anyone has any apprehensions of dealing with Mike, no worries. I just completed a transaction that went pretty smooth, he's willing to work with you and is very reasonable.

Thanks again Mike!!

First of all, thanks to the dozen plus of you that contacted me, identifying parts, giving advice and helping me out. I've sold parts to 4 members and its all gone smoothly, so thanks.

Identifying the parts has been a slow but steady process and I'm learning a lot as I go. I've attached pictures of a couple brake calipers, a couple spoked rims, and lots of fenders.

Identifying the fenders is a challenge since they aren't marked and they all look somewhat similar. If you recognize any fenders, let me know. They are all metal except the two small black fenders that look like a matching set.

-Mike

SDC19690.JPG SDC19677.JPG SDC19672.JPG SDC19664.JPG SDC19598.JPG SDC19597.JPG SDC19593.JPG SDC19592.JPG