Bicycles VS Mini bikes

Why are bicycles ok to be on public roads but not small motorized mini bikes? Besides, because its the law. Does anyone have a good reason they believe its ok for a bicycle but not a mini bike?

When I was very young...I was in the hospital in the children's ward. There was a kid a few years older than me that was basically on life support in a vegetable state. From what his mother said....he was there for months. The moral of the story is...the woman that hit him.....never seen him speeding by. She just pulled out and boom. It is rough enough to drive a real motorcycle out on the roads with all the morons behind the wheel. When you are on something that moves that fast and a third of the size....NOBODY sees you. And due to all the law suits and legal actions through the late 60s and up until the 80s.....that is why most will never be legal.

Kids on bicycles are just as small as mini bikes. And kids on anything don't look where they are going.

What made me bring this up is I saw a large pack of cyclists on a country road today. 55mph road. Taking up half of the road. None with tail lights. None with turn signals. To me coming around the corner on much slower moving bicycles is just as dangerous as a mini bike being on the road.

As a motorcycle rider, you look out for people waiting at intersections and assume NOBODY sees you. No matter what size motorcycle you are on.

I suppose bicycles are intended to be ridden on the right side, or near the shoulder of the road with the direction of traffic. Unfortunately, some do not. Mini bikes are usually operated in the road or streets, with the traffic. Many of the operators are younger and their riding style or abilities can be very unpredictable or erratic. I do understand, or sympathize with your question and argument. In 1967 I purchased a mini bike that I still have today. I have never been able to ride the mini on the streets with the piece of mind of not being ticketed. To solve that concern, I recently bought and restored a Honda Z50A, K1 Mini Trail. I now actually enjoy riding it on the local streets and if I see law enforcement, I'm completely legal.

See that's cool, I've heard of certain Z50s being legal. And have also seen some knockoff Z50s being legal. I believe in the long run it comes down to the law being able to say, "because I say so". Which just sucks.

I'm just venting, I want to enjoy my minis as much as cyclist enjoy their bicycles on public roads. Anymore its a hassle and a worry ill get a ticket or bike get impounded.

Azuslow,

I do feel you pain and venting is good. You can always keep your mini, but perhaps find another one (project), to your liking that can indeed be licensed for the street. I cannot fully explain how enjoyable it is to ride a licensed mini bike legally on the street.

Doug

I've got my CT70 that will be on the street as soon as I can get the guy to wire it. I just don't enjoy owning stuff that can't be used on a regular basis. So my other 2 minis just sit in the garage for the most part.

I hear you... Unfortunately, my Bonanza and Azusa do a lot of sitting too. You'll enjoy your CT70 on the road. There is something magical about having a license plate on a mini bike and riding it on the streets.

Way back in 1973 I had a Street legal Powell Phantom 7 and it was a kick to drive to and from home and the shop, and of course it was all surface streets and I rode it like it was a big bike and owned the lane I was riding in. But it is a different world out there now so much more traffic and people with busy agendas and always in a rush. All cars are faster and the street speeds are up to and often over the speed limit. Would I do the same today YES OF COUSE IT WAS FUN but I gave up riding on two wheels long ago now it's Trikes for me.
Steve

Could a person build a "replica" of an old street legal minibike, and run that?
Do vintage street legal minibkes still hold their street legal status today?

I don't think it will be difficult as long as I follow the rules:innocent: which for Michigan is :
A moped is defined by law as a motor vehicle with two
or three wheels that:
•Has an engine that does not exceed 100 cc piston displacement
•Does not have a gearshift
•Has a top speed of 30 mph or less on a level surface

Vehicles exceeding any of the criteria above must be registered and titled as a motorcycle. Other types of vehicles, such as electric scooters, "pocket rockets" and mini-choppers, may fit the definition of a moped or a motorcycle, but cannot be registered by the Department of State if they lack the equipment required by law to legally drive on public roads. (VIA MICHIGAN SOS SITE)
lights, blinkers, horn, mirrors will all be on it with front and rear working brakes a CVT drive system geared for right around 30 mph.(at my weight-:angry: lighter riders would go much faster:laugh:)

The engine selection is the most difficult part for me. I need a good 98cc engine with electric start and charging coil.:facepalm:

I'm already thinking red aluminum handlebars, red aluminum rims, black seat with red stitching, red fuel tank, black frame, red fenders, black belt guard, red or black bark busters, red/chrome rear shocks, polished hubs and front forks (those forks might be wasted)

You can ride a mini bike on the road as long as it fits into the moped or motorcycle classification.
Adults, even young adults riding on the road is not so much the problem as kids running the roads on whatever.

My thought on the subject about licensing also. Once its registered as a legal "moped". What is to stop you from speeding it up with a larger engine. How many police officers know the CC's of lawnmower engines.

Also on the subject as, must be licensed and registered as a motorcycle. Could I not add the necessary features to a mini bike and license it as a motorcycle. Not like the license or registration and insurance will be that expensive to worry about.

My thought on the subject about licensing also. Once its registered as a legal "moped". What is to stop you from speeding it up with a larger engine. How many police officers know the CC's of lawnmower engines.

Also on the subject as, must be licensed and registered as a motorcycle. Could I not add the necessary features to a mini bike and license it as a motorcycle. Not like the license or registration and insurance will be that expensive to worry about.
other than breaking the speed limit the cops wouldn't know but if they clock you going 45mph and actually know the moped limit is 30mph they'd have you.

You could register a mini bike as a motorcycle but then you would need to have a title for it so might have to go the assembler route which wouldn't be to difficult but they do want to know where you got the major components and of course it has to be checked out and certified.

It can be done you just have to jump thru their hoops.