Bird Engineer possible year?

I couldn't find any with the same diamond plate aluminum fenders. This is the second one I've had with those same style. I originally thought they were homemade.

I was hoping the fenders could narrow it to a few years or regional market.

Thanks guys.

F.

On the fenders you just got lucky or unlucky depending on what you think of aluminum tread plate but they are not original. Year hard to pin down without an original engine which you might have the first number of the serial number is the last number for year of manufacturing so if a 1 or 2 a 71-72 but early to mid 70s is when I believe the Nighthawks and Thunderbirds were made. If it was originally black with black trim and gold wheels it's a Nighthawk if it was black with white trim and silver wheels it's a Thunderbird, without the plastic trim which would include a fuel tank and fenders it's tough to tell except for the wheels.

Last edited:
Thanks for the estimate.

The wheels are def silver.

When I found my first Bird the fenders looked homemade, that was years ago. Then I ran across two more bikes, one, this Bird with the same fenders. I can't see how it could be the same person that made them, different areas. But who knows, this could have been what people did to them around here back then. Interesting either way. I need to dig out pictures of my first one.

i appreciate your time.

I dig the fenders this way. Wish I had the story on them!

The Bird Spoker was made in 1976 which is the same frame.

I believe the Bird Thunderbird and Nighthawk came out in the late 70's early 80's

Chrome wheels on the Spoker looks like though so probably one of the others. I love the Bird spoke wheels but have never found any solid non rusted ones to put on one of my other frames, maybe someday.
The Bird Spoker was made in 1976 which is the same frame.

I believe the Bird Thunderbird and Nighthawk came out in the late 70's early 80's

Yeah I dig the spokes, mini invaders. This set looks decent. Except I notice in my picture the front has a bend of sorts.

Thanks again

F

I've seen these wheels on the front of what I'd guess was a Bird Manufactured Go Kart and have always wanted a set for a two wheeler because I like a bigger diameter wheel on a medium frame they handle fantastically. The wheels remind me of the old Halibrand magnesium spokes but with half the rods. A classic look that will never get old. And I've also seen one of the Bird "Spoker" mini cycles ST brought to the light with his brochure but at the time I saw one in Chicago I thought some chrome and decal happy guy had gotten ahold of a Nighthawk and personalized it but damn if it wasn't an obscure model with chrome wheels. My old friend Simple Tom showed me that it was a real bike after all, he's the real guru around here and I am but a mere student.
Yeah I dig the spokes, mini invaders. This set looks decent. Except I notice in my picture the front has a bend of sorts.

Thanks again

F