Bird wren build

ugmold

Wren was my first minibike in the early 70's, bought from a rich kid with a blown engine, cheap/hasty fluorescent paint job for $15, got a 2HP Briggs at the dump, painted it blue, bought a clutch and beat the same kid in a drag race against his brand new minibike his parents bought him.

minibikefever

Not trying to knock your build, but you really need to fix the axle bolt holes in those dropouts. You'll never keep a chain on it. It's extremely unsafe.
certainly could use a little welding and a little repaint and your back on track, after all your work you won't be happy unless you address those dropout holes like Minibikin suggest....easy fix.

markus

its a Sears that was from the Roper corporation ( a Sears owned company at the time), Bird Wrens were no longer made at that time that one was, and they were also smaller tubing and setup......they look similar, because they used the designs that were being made in the late 1960's when Bird supplied sears directly, but are not the same and use different parts and pieces due to the tubing sizes/construction. Roper did that will the entire lineup of bikes that Sears sold 1970-1974

minibikefever

its a Sears that was from the Roper corporation ( a Sears owned company at the time), Bird Wrens were no longer made at that time that one was, and they were also smaller tubing and setup......they look similar, because they used the designs that were being made in the late 1960's when Bird supplied sears directly, but are not the same and use different parts and pieces due to the tubing sizes/construction. Roper did that will the entire lineup of bikes that Sears sold 1970-1974
Markus would that also make my frame a sear's ? the only difference I see is on the scrub brake mount on the left side of his? My tubing is 7/8"

Attachments

I looked up some Ropers, and I don't think this is one of them. I cannot find a single Roper that matches this bike.
Also, I posted this previously in the "what is it" section, and they seem convinced it is a bird wren.

Also, were these wrens ever white from the factory? the red was from a spray can and came off easily enough, yet the white paint underneath was tough, like an enamel. most of the ones out of the factory seemed to be blue or red.
Also, I am able to get the motor on with the gas tank and muffler shield removed. (only a test fit, I have some dropout repairs to do on the frame, and add some more coats of paint. ) 20220720_134001_HDR~2.jpg

Triley41395

Also, were these wrens ever white from the factory? the red was from a spray can and came off easily enough, yet the white paint underneath was tough, like an enamel. most of the ones out of the factory seemed to be blue or red.
Also, I am able to get the motor on with the gas tank and muffler shield removed. (only a test fit, I have some dropout repairs to do on the frame, and add some more coats of paint. ) View attachment 292058
You'll want to address the high speed fork issue also or your not going to be happy when you get it together for your first ride.

Triley41395

I looked up some Ropers, and I don't think this is one of them. I cannot find a single Roper that matches this bike.
Also, I posted this previously in the "what is it" section, and they seem convinced it is a bird wren.
Not a Roper, a Runabout from the Roper Corporation. Screenshot_20220721-221957_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220722-044204_Chrome.jpg

go to sear allllstate mini bike , com, fork my ass the hole bike is a issue
Tried that site, next to useless. the pictures are mostly gone, and all the bikes made prior to 1982 are listed as made by "Bird Engineering" , which
I know isnt correct, as from what I found, bird's last year with sears was 1969.

my bike and your bike are the same so went you fine out let me know what the bike are i love the heel brakes if you guy are puting back guy side he has 3 hp b/s

Ok, you maybe onto something after all. so after some more digging, I found a brochure from spring 1971 with the runabout . ih.jpg

That being said, the bike in the brochure has straight forks, and has welded round stock axle holders. may this be an older fork, or were some of the roper runabouts shipped with this fork? (Or possibly a wrecked fork?)

Triley41395

Ok, you maybe onto something after all. so after some more digging, I found a brochure from spring 1971 with the runabout . View attachment 292282

That being said, the bike in the brochure has straight forks, and has welded round stock axle holders. may this be an older fork, or were some of the roper runabouts shipped with this fork? (Or possibly a wrecked fork?)
Your forks are bent back where someone hit something,you should bend them back out. As for the round mounts could just be a different year.