Bird wren build

Your forks are bent back where someone hit something,you should bend them back out. As for the round mounts could just be a different year.
That's what I was afraid of. Also, that is likely, yet I have no idea if the Roper-era Sears runabouts ever used the squished-tube forks like the earlier ones often did. If so, what years did they do so?

markus

Ok, you maybe onto something after all. so after some more digging, I found a brochure from spring 1971 with the runabout . View attachment 292282

That being said, the bike in the brochure has straight forks, and has welded round stock axle holders. may this be an older fork, or were some of the roper runabouts shipped with this fork? (Or possibly a wrecked fork?)

Its the last version 1972/73 note fender mounts are present on yours. Note the headtube reinforcement as well. That catalog shot you have is actually behind the times a little and most you would see in 1971 would be more like yours, but without fender mounts. Yours is not a good example to reference because there are so many changes, missing parts, etc... But the base is still there and easy to spot between it, and earlier bikes. and actually easy to tell the versions because of items above (even the fork lowers being pinched rather than tubing) this is fall 1973:

1973 fall winter sears (3).jpg

The other super simple verification is the actual model numbers, Sears used a 3 digit manufacturer identification for the items they sold. so when you see model number plates on bikes, craftsman engines, or just about ANYTHING Sears sold, the serial number has 3 digits a "." and then another set of digits. The ID number for Roper products at that time was 131, Bird was 803, Manco 391, as did others that came and went through though the 1970's/80's that came from different manufacturers. Craftsman engines were made by Tecumseh and their # was 143 which is what your bike would have originally came with.

Roper corporation at that time was Owned by Sears, But Roper was an actual manufacturer of mowers, appliances, etc... People using the name Roper for the one particular bike I believe stems from the fact that they did make 2 versions that were street legal. They had to have a more elaborate ID/manufacturer plate rather than a basic sticker/serial number. Those legal ID plate have to state the actual manufacture on them.......and it wasn't Bird! Yet, all the "experts" will still call them Ropers made by bird :D here are one of those ID plates (note the 131 in the model number as well).

1658868664424.png

Its the last version 1972/73 note fender mounts are present on yours. Note the headtube reinforcement as well. That catalog shot you have is actually behind the times a little and most you would see in 1971 would be more like yours, but without fender mounts. Yours is not a good example to reference because there are so many changes, missing parts, etc... But the base is still there and easy to spot between it, and earlier bikes. and actually easy to tell the versions because of items above (even the fork lowers being pinched rather than tubing) this is fall 1973:

View attachment 292284

The other super simple verification is the actual model numbers, Sears used a 3 digit manufacturer identification for the items they sold. so when you see model number plates on bikes, craftsman engines, or just about ANYTHING Sears sold, the serial number has 3 digits a "." and then another set of digits. The ID number for Roper products at that time was 131, Bird was 803, Manco 391, as did others that came and went through though the 1970's/80's that came from different manufacturers. Craftsman engines were made by Tecumseh and their # was 143 which is what your bike would have originally came with.

Roper corporation at that time was Owned by Sears, But Roper was an actual manufacturer of mowers, appliances, etc... People using the name Roper for the one particular bike I believe stems from the fact that they did make 2 versions that were street legal. They had to have a more elaborate ID/manufacturer plate rather than a basic sticker/serial number. Those legal ID plate have to state the actual manufacture on them.......and it wasn't Bird! Yet, all the "experts" will still call them Ropers made by bird :D here are one of those ID plates (note the 131 in the model number as well).

View attachment 292291
So that Makes mine a 1973 then. I wonder if anyone makes reproduction tags for the sears bikes? My tags and decals were either completely absent, or shredded beyond recognition.
This thing is turning out to need more work than I first thought. Good thing it was only $40.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

markus

markus some guy said that in 1975 the guy who bought out fox corp now lct motor do you know about this
1976, he worked for fox and bought out the parts, Manco sold off remaining fox made bikes though. It’s certified parts corp. they bought out a lot of companies parts and tooling. They own comet as well. I don’t know if they still utilize it but they have the fox Janesville factory location still.

Fox has a pretty cool history, of course the info on some pages is dead wrong made up bullshit filler which is too bad.

markus

So that Makes mine a 1973 then. I wonder if anyone makes reproduction tags for the sears bikes? My tags and decals were either completely absent, or shredded beyond recognition.
This thing is turning out to need more work than I first thought. Good thing it was only $40.

Thanks for your help guys!
I think peeweepinstriping remade the id decals on those

my bike and your bike are the same so went you fine out let me know what the bike are i love the heel brakes if you guy are puting back guy side he has 3 hp b/s
I had thought of using a tecumseh 3hp on there at one point, but everyone around me wanted way too much, and my side shafts were all previously stolen . (good thing the frames were elsewhere, or they would have been nicked too!) My father gave me the 208 briggs.

Well, I have been slowly working on it, as time allows, and as the parts I ordered come in. I have cleaned up the engine for the most part, and repainted the cover. I have it mocked up in this pic, to give me an idea of how it will go together. 20220823_001521_HDR.jpg 20220823_001521_HDR.jpg