Bonanza BC1300 fork help

Hi guys I recently bought a Bonanza BC1300. I removed the 2 lower fork bolts and they wouldn't budge. I pulled as hard as I could and both springs broke in half and the top small piece where the bolt goes through as stuck in each side along with half of the spring. Any tips on getting them out? So far I've sprayed lots of liquid wrench down each fork tube and also tried a torch to heat up the outside of the bars. I then put the lower in with half of the spring and twisted counter clockwise and tried to pull again with no success. What else is there to try? At the very least I want to get the other half of the spring out as for I have replacement springs. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys I recently bought a Bonanza BC1300. I removed the 2 lower fork bolts and they wouldn't budge. I pulled as hard as I could and both springs broke in half and the top small piece where the bolt goes through as stuck in each side along with half of the spring. Any tips on getting them out? So far I've sprayed lots of liquid wrench down each fork tube and also tried a torch to heat up the outside of the bars. I then put the lower in with half of the spring and twisted counter clockwise and tried to pull again with no success. What else is there to try? At the very least I want to get the other half of the spring out as for I have replacement springs. Thanks in advance!
I had the same problem.soak it with WD-40. I'm guessing you already removed the top spring bolt,there's a metal spring cap in the upper part of the fork .secure it in a vise and Tap that back and forth with a punch. Working it out towards what's left of the spring. These parts are 40+ years old.so, you have to have some patience.:thumbsup:

I had the same problem.soak it with WD-40. I'm guessing you already removed the top spring bolt,there's a metal spring cap in the upper part of the fork .secure it in a vise and Tap that back and forth with a punch. Working it out towards what's left of the spring. These parts are 40+ years old.so, you have to have some patience.:thumbsup:
I think you're thinking of BC1400/1500 style forks. The kind I have is the handle bars and up forks are one piece. Then there's the lowers. There's only the one bolt for the top piece of the lower forks.

I think you're thinking of BC1400/1500 style forks. The kind I have is the handle bars and up forks are one piece. Then there's the lowers. There's only the one bolt for the top piece of the lower forks.
Nope. You said BC1300. I had the same bike with the same issue.Inside the handlebars there's still the spring top stuck right? The bolt goes through that. That's what need's to come out.

(cylinder shaped piece that holds spring to lower fork.)

Last edited:
Ok but you say hammer back and forth. I'm sure I can hammer it deeper into the forks but how do I keep it from going passed the bolt hole?

You need to tap that piece past the bolt hole to get it out.Once you losen it a little, you should be able to move it down the fork end. I didn't say hammer,I said tap it back and forth with a punch to losen it up..

Thanks middleoftheroad! I get what you're saying now lol. I'll try that tomorrow and I'll see if I can get them out. Tomas tanks for the link. Last resort is to drill at the bend on the bars but hopefully I can avoid doing that.

Thanks middleoftheroad! I get what you're saying now lol. I'll try that tomorrow and I'll see if I can get them out. Tomas tanks for the link. Last resort is to drill at the bend on the bars but hopefully I can avoid doing that.
Looking for another plan here. Been soaking for 2 years and re-soaked last week. I actual have 2 sets of forks that have 3 legs (plugs) stuck. Those plugs won't budge. Tapped (wacked) with hole a punch and finally drilled a hole in the bars and was hitting that plug pretty hard and nothing. Also heated it up. Next suggestion please.:hammer:

Last edited:
I just need the legs. I have a good set of forks. I'll be strapping them to a tree tomorrow with a strap through the bottom of the legs connected to my truck.:wink:

I like this idea. I think most likely you are fighting rust encapsulation more than "just stuck" and that may be a split the fork tube to remove the parts.... Then use a Brake cylinder hone to clean the inside of the tubing.

If you do cut the tube use a Dremel with a cut off disc and you wont loose any material like you would with a regular cut off wheel.

You could do something similar with grease. We pack a pilot bushing full of grease in the back of a crankshaft and then use a punch that fits snuggly into the pilot bushing and drive it out using the hydraulics of pressurizing the grease.

I also would suggest that you ditch all the penetrants that you have been using for the last 2 years and try some Gibbs. I just bought some Kidney Beans and the screws were stuck. Would not move at all. Soaked them with Gibbs and got 2 loose the next day. I forgot about them and then tried again about 7 or 8 days later and all 6 came out by hand with a good screw driver. It has done things that nothing else will even come close to doing.

Welcome to GIBBS Brand Lubricant

Buy it straight from the source. Don't bother with a dealer for it. I buy it by the case and split it with a couple of friends. [MENTION=18286]manchester1[/MENTION]

Doug

Last edited:
Doug is spot-on. Hone and clean the area where the plug has to travel. I would dig out my shotgun cleaning kit and repeat. Hone, scrub, flush, dry, inspect with some kind of light. A mechanic's remote lighted probe and camera would be perfect, I forget what they are called.
I'm thinking once you move it an inch or so, you could tap the fork ends on a piece of strap wood and move the plug, especially with the weight of all those ball bearings working as well. Snowmobile clutches are sometimes removed using the "water method".
Hope this helps folks,
Steve