break-in oil

I was wondering if I should use an oil with high zinc content for break-in. I know it's kind of recommended for flat tappet cams on cars...or just go with a standard 10w-30 and add a zinc additive to the mix?

CarPlayLB

I use a zinc additive...can't hurt! The spring pressure in these won't be too great whereas you eat up lifters and lobes like a car! Don't use a multi grade though. The thin stuff does not stick where it should. Remember, these are splash lubed, not pressure lubed. I use a non detergent 30wt oil, but I know the racers sometime use 40 or 50wt oil. Stay away from synthetics as well, unless formulated specifically for splash lubed small engines. If you can find a 30wt with zinc, I feel that is ideal!

Straight SAE 30 like Eric said. :thumbsup: Check out a farm store, you can still get SAE 30 intended for diesel engines. The stuff I buy is dual rated CF/SL and has all the zinc you would ever need.

20160927_132331.jpg

Thank you guys.
I really appreciate it. So the preferred oil is straight 30wt non-detergent diesel oil with a CF/SL rating...gotcha.
I assume Tractor Supply would carry this product?
Thanks again for your input. :smile:

From what I can ascertain, most diesel oils are multi grade and detergent. So, it would be either a ND 30-wt, or multi grade diesel detergent oil. I won't use synthetic oil....at least until the engine is well broken-in.

Last edited:
I use this on anything old...overkill but what the hell
Ah, Brad Penn...good stuff. It's formulated from the original (green) Kendal GT1 racing oil. I used to use Kendal GT1 in my cars. I would probably still be using it had they not changed the formula.
I can't get Brad Penn locally. It would have to be mail ordered.
However, I use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 in my little German aircooled car. :wink:

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Change the oil often. 1 quart is not much for the load we put on the mini's engine.
On a new engine made in China I run the engine for one hour under load and then drain the oil. The crud that comes out from manufacturing can easily be seen.

CarPlayLB

Change the oil often. 1 quart is not much for the load we put on the mini's engine.
On a new engine made in China I run the engine for one hour under load and then drain the oil. The crud that comes out from manufacturing can easily be seen.
Rob,
I suggest to anyone buying a "China engine" to buy a side cover gasket and pull the cover and inspect before starting it! Both Predators I purchased I did this...and glad I did! It is truly amazing the amount of shavings and grit in the engine! The little expense of the gasket will be worth it!

Nice i have an 82 911sc and a 72 914 I also use vr1 I usto use brad penn but advance has a sale on the vr1 every spring and the last i checked the consensus seems to be they are about the same as far as quality. For these small engines i usually put in half vr1 or similar and half regular 10-30. I figure that gets it in the range of viscosity and gives it a lick of zinc

Rob,
I suggest to anyone buying a "China engine" to buy a side cover gasket and pull the cover and inspect before starting it! Both Predators I purchased I did this...and glad I did! It is truly amazing the amount of shavings and grit in the engine! The little expense of the gasket will be worth it!
Car play,
Are you suggesting to pull the side cover off to clean the machining grit and shavings before starting the motor? It's too bad these engines don't have an oil filtration system. Well...I guess it is what it is.

Last edited:
Rob,
You mentioned running it for an hour "under load". I assume what you're implying about running it under load is actually driving it, correct?
I was thinking of running it on the bike for awhile to let it warm up, and taking it out for a drive varying the speed and rpm.