Briggs 2HP Model 60102

Satio

The Keystone project I am working on came with this Briggs model 60102 engine.

While I am planning to install something with higher hp, I thought I would use this to educate myself on troubleshooting such engines.

I know a little bit from my years of keeping my lawn equipment operational but far from the experts that I'm sure exist in this OldMiniBikes constituency (many I'm sure are much younger than me in years) that I can learn from.

Teach an old dog a few new tricks as it were...

I did my usual of a little starting fluid in the spark plug hole to see if I could get at least a fire. No luck.

So I narrow that further to no spark.

I used a multimeter to test the coil while it was still mounted and it seemed to test good.

However, upon detaching it, there is a black wire coming off this that goes into a whole on the block and then comes back out again. I assume this wire is what would be used to attach to a kill switch that grounds and prevents spark altogether.

This wire is no longer attached to the coil.

Can someone explain its purpose, why it goes into the engine block, and its being detached now is the reason there is no fire at the plug?

Or is it only used to short the coil in a kill switch setup?

I don't see an easy way to re-establish a connection back to the coil and assume I would need a new coil which may not be something I want to pursue given the cost if such is even available.

Could the problem be coil is good (or was good) but are their points and condenser behind the flywheel that could be bad?

As stated, I'm using this as a learning experience and appreciate any and all feedback from those in the know.

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

BRIGGS_COIL_EDITED_JPEG.jpg

Last edited:

ugmold

I can't tell from the pics and I don't know serial numbers well enough to know if you have points or not. But it looks like it probably does unless someone updated the coil to be "pointless", once again can't tell from the photo.
But my guess is if it has points, clean and gap them, I almost guarantee it will start. That is a really simple carb, the tank is probably crusty inside and will need to be cleaned, the gas pickup tube and the jet should be clean and clear as well.

Satio

I did take the tank off the carb and it is actually in pretty good shape. I expect it to be crusty but it looks to be in pretty good shape particularly given the age of this motor.

Removing the flywheel and checking the points underneath was my next step. Given its manufacture date I'm sure it probably does (from what little I know).

The black wire coming off the coil that goes back to the block then comes out again I assume is for a kill switch?

I wasn't sure if this now being completely disconnected where it once was going to the block itself would prevent the coil from operating now.

I was focused first on getting a spark at the spark plug because right now it doesn't.

Any tricks for getting the flywheel off? Am I going to need a puller?

Thanks for the feedback and help.

Last edited:
What I do to get the flywheels off my old briggs motors is this: stick a prybar or something similar into one of the fans to block the flywheel from moving thentake a small wrench and set it on one of the ears for the starter clutch and hit the wrench with a hammer....spin off the starter clutch and take off the washer that sits between the clutch and flywheel. Sometimes the flywheels come off rather easy other times I hit a piece of 2x4 placed on the shaft(not the best idea but ive yet to mushroom a shaft).
Hope this helps.....oh yea, dont forget to check the key!!

Satio

Success!

Pulled the flywheel, cleaned the condenser and points contacts with a little light sanding, resoldered the wire from condenser back to the coil, shrinkwrap that, put it all back together.

One pull, second pull, BAM!

Fired right up. I don't know that I will use this in a mini project as it is only 2hp but I am going to clean it up, maybe fresh paint, and make it a trophy.

Thanks to all for their input. It was an issue with connection/contact points of condenser and I learned something along the way.