Briggs 4HP

I want to overhaul the 4HP Briggs engine on my Arco bike (next in line for restore). Problem is, I can tell if carbs and gasket sets are for the newer 4HP or the old style 4HP engines. I have the old style. Mine has the pull tab choke to kill the engine. Is there any service manuals or parts lists to aid me? I used Gunk foam on it yesterday and it cleaned up nicely. There was an 1/8 inch crud all over the engine. If pic of engine helps, I will be happy to post one. Also, using the Gunk, I saw the origional color of the Arco frame, it was a real light blue (retro light blue).

Thanks,
Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

Yea post a pic if ya don't mind. Doing mine with a wire-brushed dremel because cleaners would not get it all off. Will get a pic of mine where I haven't hit when I get the chance.

Yea post a pic if ya don't mind. Doing mine with a wire-brushed dremel because cleaners would not get it all off. Will get a pic of mine where I haven't hit when I get the chance.

The carb area was a real mess (still is). The spring was wayyy too long and the throttle cable end wires were fanned out everywhere. I trimmed the throttle cable end and cut the spring to where it works nicely. When I overhaul this, I will be doing the carb the right way.

Kevin - Hillsboro

The NEW gaskets are kinda huge and have two sets of bolt patterns..

Your gasket is just a basic small oval with one bolt pattern... Either will work on your motor..

Side of shroud

30212 0812-0 77032801

30 was my interpretation. It was scubbed and kinda hard to make out.

Decal shows 4HP.. that is why I stated 4HP :shrug:

Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

:laugh: OPE good eye Rocco...

It's a 3 horse.. There is no 30 cubic inch briggs.. it's a worn down "8" .... The 4 is probably

(4 cycle gasoline engine) sticker... The square rear cooling shield is a dead give away.. It's the 2-3.5 horse block.. The cubic inches is also cast into the block and head.. look for the "8" on your head...

Same deal with gaskets.. Briggs gaskets are easy.. :laugh:

:laugh: OPE good eye Rocco...

It's a 3 horse.. There is no 30 cubic inch briggs.. it's a worn down "8" .... The 4 is probably

(4 cycle gasoline engine) sticker... The square rear cooling shield is a dead give away.. It's the 2-3.5 horse block.. The cubic inches is also cast into the block and head.. look for the "8" on your head...

Same deal with gaskets.. Briggs gaskets are easy.. :laugh:
:clap: Well done! I actually understood that :smile: The '4' decal is painted over. It was just an assumption on my behalf it was 4HP.

Thanks,
Kevin - Hillsboro, OH