Briggs 5HP carb pickup tube

Hello all
I did not search the forum but was hoping for a quick answer.
Someone left old gas in a 5 HP metal Briggs fuel tank. They also used silicone For gaskets. Yeah!
anyway, the pickup tube (brass) is eaten away and they slipped a plastic intake filter over the tube. Is there a replacement tube for these or does this essentially ruin it?
I am thinking someone must have modded a carb and either drilled and installed a new pick up tube or something of the sorts.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Those pick up tubes can be replaced, with your engine numbers at hand call OldMiniBikes or a B&S dealer and they will fix you up with a replacement part.

Those pick up tubes can be replaced, with your engine numbers at hand call OldMiniBikes or a B&S dealer and they will fix you up with a replacement part.
Ok...I did not know that brass pick up tube was available for older engines. I should habe checked first before asking

thanks.

markus

That is a "fixed jet" carb and very hard to work with. The throttle blades open the opposite direction of the older PulsaJet carbs and linkages are tricky!
not to mention, you would need to modify or change the fuel tank since the bolt pattern differs, if you dont have a later style block, with wide flange for intake it wont bolt up, and you would also have to rethink the air filter entirely......you may be able to rob the brass tube off it though :p

I ended up putting a piece of Tygon tubing with a "clunk" filter on the pick up tube, cleaned the carb out, got all of the silicone gunk out of and off of the mating surfaces, removed and cleaned the jet, replaced the diaphragm, and reassembled. The fuel tank was a little crusty inside...and unfortunately the filler neck has some rust through spots on the threads. I still reassembled the whole thing and got it running last night.

Thanks for the input!

Got into it on another site about this very thing. Was sent a page that had these tubes but never saved it. Don’t think these tubes are sold separately from the carbs through Briggs but possibly aftermarket and definitely the Briggs motor sports program has them listed separately.
3/16 brake line fits and can be threaded to use in place of it, which the other guy didn’t like me mentioning.