Briggs 5hp engine lets go of stock connecting rod (Video)

MB165

I know the stock briggs rods are strong, but wow, that thing let loose really easilly. When I was a kid I ran the p**s out my flatheads, even blown knockers from low oil level that I got from the junk pile at local shops, they had been epoxied to patch the front of the block, new rod....and they never blew on me.

So, how many rpms can a stock briggs rod really handle?:shrug:

Last edited:
that let go because he had serious issues, it didnt sound good at all.
My motor doesnt vibrate and shake around like that. that motor never seemed to smooth out as it climbed its small rpm hill.

My guess is that both the crankshaft and connecting rod had years of use on them.
Now there is excessive clearance between them and he decides to bolt on an HL360 and install a high lift cam and stiff springs. Not sure if he has a torque wrench either.

I talked to him on Youtube and he said the connecting rod literally exploded into little pieces.:scared:

ARC does say in their billet con rod instructions that improper rod bolt torque is the most common cause of failure...

Cool video but it almost seemed like a non-event. I guess I was hoping to see a bigger 'BOOM' :shrug:

Had numerous "kabooms" in my youth fooling around with minibikes and go carts. Had connecting rods break and punch a hole thru the crankcase. Had an old 2 stroke I got from somewhere and wanted to see what it would take to blow it up. Bolted it to the picnic table in the backyard and cranked it at full throttle and stood back and waited. That thing screamed at an ungodly RPM for what seemed like forever and then instantly stopped and the momentum ripped it right out of the picnic table. Took the thing apart and found the piston had seized in the head and the rod literally exploded.

The most recent "Kaboom" was the 8HP Tecumseh on the go cart. My son was out buzzing around the neighborhood and just as he pulled into out culdesac I heard the motor explode. He rolled in front of the house and I grabbed the pull start and gave it a yank. It spun around like there was nothing connected to the crank. We pulled it apart and found the rod had broken in 3 pieces. The connecting rod bolt had hit the crank and peeled up a long sliver of metal on the rod journal. I pulled the crank and knocked down the high spot on the rod journal with a file and polished it with some emory cloth. Replaced the rod and we were back in business. Those motors will take alot of abuse before blowing up, I know from experience.