Briggs 5hp I/C reduction gear crankshaft questions

Hello everyone, questions from a newbie. I just recently acquired a 5hp Briggs I/C motor that I was hoping to use in a mini bike. It has a reduction gear so when I took it apart I found that it has a splined crankshaft for the gear, not the round shaft with keyway I am used to. I am a lot more familiar with tecumseh engines so I am not sure what different parts Briggs use in these motors or what parts are interchangeable to use this block for a mini bike. (round keyway shaft) at first I thought I could just throw a different 5hp crank in there but this crank has a bearing, but only on the flywheel side of the crank.
Any help suggesting what the easiest route to take would be much appreciated. Although this motor prob sat for 20 years and looked horrible outside, after rebuilding carb, flushing varnish out of tank and fresh oil it ran beautiful. I tore it down and the internals are in the best shape I've ever seen in an old motor, can't have been used much. So I was really hoping I can use it rather than finding a different motor. I'll try and attach a couple pics.ha
Thanks in advance.
Mike. ‎

Last edited:
Easiest way is to just replace the crankshaft with a good bushing crankshaft. Better yet change both the crankshaft and sidecover with a bearing model. Then you would have a dual bearing engine.

There are a number of e-bay stores that sell used cranks and side covers or you could post a wanted on this site. All you need is your model number and do a look up on hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.com (it's the easiest) to find part numbers...or simply use 130202. You can scroll through a bunch of variations to find the desired P/N.

CarPlayLB

The shaft where it exits the motor should be 1" on the bearing surface. Find a late model crank with a 0.750" PTO and a 1.00" bearing surface and swap it in. I have done it without even pulling the head! You can reuse your sidecover too! I have a crank with a 1.00" bearing surface and a 1.00" PTO that you can have for the price of shipping! Ya just have to use the expensive 1.00" clutch or have it machined down to 0.750"

"do a look up on hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.com (it's the easiest) to find part numbers...or simply use 130202. You can scroll through a bunch of variations to find the desired P/N."

Thanks to the so-called "moderator" who deleted the referenced site. Thought "we" were better than that. :asshole:

CarPlayLB

"do a look up on hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.com (it's the easiest) to find part numbers...or simply use 130202. You can scroll through a bunch of variations to find the desired P/N."

Thanks to the so-called "moderator" who deleted the referenced site. Thought "we" were better than that. :asshole:
the site has been that automatically...not a mod!

Mike, contact member BikerBoyBenny ...I think he has a couple cranks for sale

I have been corrected and offer apologies to the moderator of this sub-forum.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions, I may still contact someone here for a crank if one doesn't turn up in the next couple months but for the time being I'm keeping it stock to power a winch, I have a 6.5hp clone I'm using in the mini bike temporarily while I keep my eyes open for a good b&s or tecumseh flathead for when I rebuild and paint the bike. I much prefer the look and feel of the classic engines :D