Briggs 5hp performance build question

old shed finds

This engine is kinda a big choice for your Rupp..
If it fits ok you will have plenty o power in original form....
You will sit back on seat and pull a wheelie....
This advice is on rebuild carburetor and ignition system..

Addicted 2 Minis

My advice would be to leave that engine in stock form. It is a general purpose engine and won't hold up very long if it's modified. The I/C engines are much stronger and can withstand being modified for more power. The general purpose engines have bushings that support the crank whereas the I/C engines have dual bearings. The I/C engines have a cast iron cylinder liner whereas the general purpose have aluminum bores. Another thing to note is the lack of PTO mounts on the general purpose engines, you won't be able to mount a clutch brake or chain guard if you so desire.

Ok..... your engine can work for what you want to do. As noted above, not everyone’s first choice. To make it even work better than as it is, you’ll need a crank shaft( output doesn’t look long enough) and a side cover that at least has bolt holes to install some sort of torque converter, clutch cover or other either safety device from the clutch or as stated above brakes.
as for what you want to do for performance Rod, piston, ect? What’s your budget?

joshua. c.

if you still want to use the briggs there are plenty of things you can do and plenty of parts available. start with a billet rod and flywheel for safety. then ditch the governor and remove its internal components. put a racing cam from dyno cams in it with whatever springs and lifters are recommended with the cam. and make sure the cam isn't rubbing on anything inside I had to grind some off the crank on my engine so the cam would clear. look into a larger 22mm carburator on a custom intake that could use the stock rupp tank and add a custom built header then port the intake and exhaust and shave the head. and you'll need to do some research on how to do all of this. talk with dyno cams on the best cam option for your application. also that engine most likely has points, check to be sure and if it dose have points order one of the newer coils that dosn't need them.