Briggs 5hp tillotson

I just got my first bike. It's a bonanza with a flathead and a tillotson carb I'm trying to figure out how to install my throttle linkage. I bought the ec lk-122 linkage

I can't seem to get full throttle though.

Also I'm using a single outlet mikuni fuel pump and when it's running I'm getting fuel in the impulse line.

Harquebus

I admire your fortitude; registered since 2011 and your first post is today. :laugh:

I don't even know what linkage that is.
Got pics?

The carb can run in any direction, side ways, upside down, with a Tilly it does not matter. You will need to line the pulse port up to the hole in the manifold though. Most Briggs manifolds will orient the inlet at the top of the carb. Here is a kit that has a bracket that goes on a head bolt and attaches to the Tilly
https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/briggs-tillotson-throttle-kit.html
Did you note he is getting fuel running out of his pulse line? Now correct me if I am wrong, but that is the pneumatic signal on the "other" side of the Tilly pump diaphragm that controls the fuel inlet to pop off pressure setting. Fuel should not be coming out of that side. No? Why use a fuel pump with a Tilly? School me.

Also, I think he is looking for the "tiller" arm that clamps on to the Tilly throttle shaft, so he can hook up that linkage.

Personally, a machined aluminum throttle cable block attached to the Tilly body looks a lot cleaner that than linkage that runs across the top of the Briggs shroud. I wont post the link here to the company that sells all that stuff. :)

Here is a picture of mine but this is before I had to cut manifold and connect with rubber tubing to get the stack down so it would idle. While carplay said about it running in any direction is true, it will not idle and will drain fuel from the fuel chamber at idle and when shut off dripping gas and loading up the motor. With the stack down it operates like a regular float carb with the idle holes drawing fuel thru the low pressure created on the motor side of the throttle. I can take more pics if you like but this is the only one from when I was first putting it together.

I'm using an ec intake with the carb mounted inlet down right now, the hole in the carb body does not line up with the hole in the intake for the pulse to work, I have an l bracket on the motor that the cable goes into and then the linkage that goes to the carb. I have an extended throttle shaft with an ec arm on it

You can file a groove in the intake flange to match up with the pulse hole on carb flange. If this is a minibike get rid of the fuel pump unless tank is below the carb. The Tilley can pump fuel by itself a few inches.

CarPlayLB

HD, the fuel in the pulse line has nothing to do with the carb. The diaphragm may be leaking in the fuel pump, but the carb has no connection to the fuel pump pulse line! The pulse for the carb is internal and needs to correspond to the small hole in the manifold. The kart racers used a fuel pump to pull fuel from the front mounted tank to the carb. The Tilly's did not like that long of a pull [MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION]

The mounting pattern for the Tilly is concentric and the carb cam be turned upside down on the manifold provided you drill the correct pulse hole on the bottom of the manifold. I have a manifold that has both pulse holes drilled. Is that what you have? If you just need an arm, send me a PM and I will get one to you

HD, the fuel in the pulse line has nothing to do with the carb. The diaphragm may be leaking in the fuel pump, but the carb has no connection to the fuel pump pulse line! The pulse for the carb is internal and needs to correspond to the small hole in the manifold. The kart racers used a fuel pump to pull fuel from the front mounted tank to the carb. The Tilly's did not like that long of a pull [MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION]

The mounting pattern for the Tilly is concentric and the carb cam be turned upside down on the manifold provided you drill the correct pulse hole on the bottom of the manifold. I have a manifold that has both pulse holes drilled. Is that what you have? If you just need an arm, send me a PM and I will get one to you
My manifold has one hole drilled in the top for pulse. I have the ec two phase arm as well.

CarPlayLB

My manifold has one hole drilled in the top for pulse. I have the ec two phase arm as well.
To run the inlet on the bottom you will need a pulse hole drilled to match the face of the carb. that small hole is where the carb gets its pulse from. Without that, it will not work! I think it is worth the effort based on ole4's experience!

With the inlet up, the bracket from the EC Carb kit will bolt to the head and the brass fitting screws into that. The conduit will go in the brass fitting and the cable will run through it to that fancy billet cable anchor and the "hook" attaches to the arm. Any chance you can post a pic?

To run the inlet on the bottom you will need a pulse hole drilled to match the face of the carb. that small hole is where the carb gets its pulse from. Without that, it will not work! I think it is worth the effort based on ole4's experience!

With the inlet up, the bracket from the EC Carb kit will bolt to the head and the brass fitting screws into that. The conduit will go in the brass fitting and the cable will run through it to that fancy billet cable anchor and the "hook" attaches to the arm. Any chance you can post a pic?
I'll have to post pics tomorrow, at work now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are more pictures of mine I just took. This setup has been running trouble free for many years even though it may sit for a year unused. These carbs just don't clog up like the mikunis or tec carbs with floatbowls.

Here are more pictures of mine I just took. This setup has been running trouble free for many years even though it may sit for a year unused. These carbs just don't clog up like the mikunis or tec carbs with floatbowls.
My linkage didn't come with a plate for the carb like yours, just an L to mount on the top of the shroud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HD, the fuel in the pulse line has nothing to do with the carb. The diaphragm may be leaking in the fuel pump, but the carb has no connection to the fuel pump pulse line! The pulse for the carb is internal and needs to correspond to the small hole in the manifold. The kart racers used a fuel pump to pull fuel from the front mounted tank to the carb. The Tilly's did not like that long of a pull.
My point was that fuel coming out of the pulse port means the diaphragm is passing fuel. That is why I asked about the Mikuni pump, as I was wondering if he was over-pressurizing the diaphragm with it and causing the fuel by pass, or he has a leak in the diaphragm.

Since he has the engine running, I assume the Mikuni pump is doing the pumping, not the carb. So what pop off pressure should he set for the Briggs on gasoline?

[MENTION=23480]madzx2[/MENTION] this is the throttle cable mount plate and Tilly throttle arm I was referring to. Not a Briggs, but the same application. [MENTION=31879]CarPlayLB[/MENTION] knows where to get these parts, if you don't have the tiller.

(photo is a clone Tilly, but same application)

Ole posted essentially the same set up I did. Oops. Ole, how are the four strokes idling with the Tilly? Fat?