Briggs alky engine.

Jer

Ok friends.... My neighbor is wanting to get into racing carts and asked me tonight if I could build an alcohol engine. I told him Im sure I could if I could just figure out the little specs. Does it require special valves, head, piston, rod, crank, cam etc? I read this post about modding a Briggs engine http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/b...some-guide-modding-briggs-5-hp-flatheads.html but it dont say if this mod will work for a alcohol setup? Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

SupaFly needs to know if your friend just want to make laps or dose he want to enter and be competitive, because the advise SupaFly gives you will depend on which it is?

Jer

He is wanting one to put his kid in the races so I am guessing the competative route. How much of a difference is there? Can SupaFly help me help him? LOL

Jer,
I raced open 4 in the late 70's and early 80's in KS and MO amazed it sounds like the class is still there but much doesnt change there also. On a methanol engine there are alot of factors compression ht BDC on the camshaft and if your pulling fuel from a modified carb and tank versus a tilly feeding. Happy to help with any questions feel free to pm if you like. and is supafly with ya momma really speaking in second person :confused:

Jer

Ok Mr. Clark I appreciate your help. All I need to know is where to begin.... LOL I have 2 clean blocks ready to build. One is a dual bearing block and the other is a single bearing. The dual bearing has a cast sleeve where the single is just aluminum. Where do I start?

Go with the IC block dual bearing engine. If you are running a modified stock carb and tank weld a 1/8 npt bung in the bottom so you can drain it at the end of the night you will want to put some gas in it and fire it and run it a while after. I will get into that later... Bulid your dream build sheet for the engine and I will tell you what I think from there. Also what track are you running?????