Briggs and Stratton 2 hp rebuild

Hey guys. I'm building a mini bike in chopper style and I'm having trouble with the engine. It's a briggs and stratton 2 hp horizontal shaft engine. I've been working on it for about 3 months. I fixed a stuck open exhaust valve, I cleaned the Carb out and got a good fuel flow,it's been oiled, I cleaned the magneto,I took off the old muffler and will put the new one on it once the engine runs, it has a great spark (shocked myself close to numb), but the engine just won't run. I pull it, I can see exhaust come out, yet it won't keep running. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello ElectroMax,

First I have a couple of questions for you..

Does your carb look like/similiar to this Vacu Jet carb with no side cover??
[/IMG]

How good is the compression?

Hello ElectroMax,

First I have a couple of questions for you..

Does your carb look like/similiar to this Vacu Jet carb with no side cover??
[/IMG]

How good is the compression?
It looks very similar, it has a lever throttle that connects to the spring that connects to rod going to the governor. Compression is pretty good after I fixed the exhaust valve. I used a lot of carb+choke aerosol cleaner on it and it has a pretty decent fuel/air flow

Ok you have spark, compression, clean carb, and vented cap. Did you inspect the carb to tank gasket and carb to block gasket. It is critical those form a air tight seal in order for this carb to operate properly. If those gaskets (especially the carb to tank gasket) show signs of wear, it's time to replace.

How many turns out is the fuel/air mixture screw? Generally for starting puroposes it should be 1.5 turns out from closed. In my experiences, the Vacu Jet carbs rarely go bad. So I'm thinking it may be something relatively easy to fix. Also, you may need to play around with the idle screw and possibly open the throttle up slightly to get the engine started.

jrzmac

Ruppster's right, go to your local lawnmower repair place and tell them you need a gasket. just tell them what type of engine it is. and the serial number if you have it. if not, take the gasket off and bring it with you!

Carb to tank is fine now. I had a hunch today that it was the ignition timing. I was correct. I took off the flywheel, cleaned the condenser and point, Oiled it, put it back together, and gave it a few pulls. Didn't run. I decided to give it one last pull with the throttle open slightly. IT LIVES! :laugh: , I let it run for a little bit, but i don't have a tachometer to tune it. Ah well. Now I just gotta figure out how to make it run again! xD

You do not need a tachometer to "tune" it, which is nothing more than adjusting the carb while the engine is running. It is really pretty simple, as even I can do it!:rolleyes:

Liam

I have a 2hp on my bike too and found that unless they're warm it's not easy to start them without opening up the throttle. I've got a wicked shock too from touching the rubber tubing surrounding the spark plug wire a few times, not fun.

ok. I finally got frustrated and put it off for a few months. well, i started working on it again. I redid the valve and points and condesner timing and put another make-a-gasket on it. And I got it running again. Problem is it was only for 4 seconds. I think the problem here is the gasket. I want to order the correct one instead of making it. I can't find the serial number on it. I checked the flywheel. Under the grille, there were the letters AJQ. On the opposite side between the magnets there was a 56 and on the other side of the Magnet there was a C. Can you please help me find the serial number?

Nevermind! Found it!!!

Last edited:
I believe that you can get a complete kit for your carb that includes a new needle, jets, and gasket. Also, if the engine still won't stay running, check the pickup tube that goes from the carb to the tank to suck up the gas. One time my pick up tube had a hair line crack in it and it was sucking air and not gas. :thumbsup: