Briggs and Stratton 5 hp Crankshaft Questions

Mr. Pink

Hi Guys,

After 47 years I’m getting back into mini bikes!

I picked up a 2008 DB 30 Doodlebug frame with wheels and bad tires.

I’m looking to power the bike with an old school 5 hp Briggs and Stratton.

Shortly after picking up the frame I found a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton in great condition, numbers 130232 0558 01 80012307.
To my disappointment, when removing the trash pump from the engine, I found that the engine crankshaft has a 5/8” threaded PTO end.

Now, I am looking to swap out this engine’s crankshaft with something that I can hang a clutch on.

It looks like this engine has points and a ball bearing on the PTO side.

I’ve been doing a lot of online research, please correct me if any of the following is wrong:

I will need a Briggs p/n 260921 crankshaft?

P/N’s 260938, 397085 and 492088 will work but the sump cover will need to be swapped as these cranks use a plain bearing? And also these cranks do not accommodate the points plunger, so the engine will need to be converted to Magnetron ignition?

Any other p/n’s that will work?
I am finding very few for sale on eBay and Facebook Marketplace.

I appreciate any input.

Thank you

old shed finds

Its almost more easy for you to keep a eye on your classified adds for Tiller or broken tiller they are most always 3/4 crank.. Problem with the Generator,Pump,And some snowblowers is the special Crankshafts and sometimes goofy Cam driven Pto....This 5hp was 10 bucks because of a stuck intake valve.

Attachments

Mr. Pink

Its almost more easy for you to keep a eye on your classified adds for Tiller or broken tiller they are most always 3/4 crank.. Problem with the Generator,Pump,And some snowblowers is the special Crankshafts and sometimes goofy Cam driven Pto....This 5hp was 10 bucks because of a stuck intake valve.
Yeah, after three months of searching for a compatible crankshaft, last week I found this guy!

Montgomery Wards B&S.jpg Keyed Shaft - Wards B&S .jpg

But I'll still be keeping an eye out for a crankshaft to rebuild the one that has the threaded crank.

Threaded Shaft.jpg

Last edited:
You have an early ball bearing engine. A machine shop can machine down the pto end of a regular crank to .875 and you will be able to use it.
you can get a new sump cover with a large bearing end and use a bushing crank also, but you will need a bearing. The newer cranks have 1 inch pto ends as do the new bearing cranks, 13#232 engines.
Try Turk brothers racing for a sump cover.
Good luck finding an old style bearing crank.
1 inch cranks can be found anywhere.

Magnetron ignitions are pretty fool proof.
Old bushing cranks can be used if your hellbent on using points and will work with new side covers and large bearings.

Oh. And one last thing. Be careful which crank you get, snowblower crankshafts are different on the flywheel end, they’re longer to accommodate a starter.