Briggs and Stratton Muffler

If you check out this ebay auction you will notice that the muffler is positioned so closely to the carburetor body. I have an engine very similar but mine has a muffler adapter so the muffler is pointed away from the carb. If I get a new muffler could I take out the adapter and position the muffler like the guy has it on his ebay auction engine or will it do any damage to the carburetor (The heat from the muffler damaging the carburetor body)

VINTAGE BRIGS & STRATTON 5HP ENGINE MINI BIKE / GO CART: eBay Motors (item 130408992209 end time Jul-17-10 15:34:26 PDT)

I don't know a lot about this so any help would be great!
Nick

The muffler on that engine is right where B&S wanted it. But isn't the exhaust port just threaded for something like 3/4" tapered pipe? You sure see a lot of bikes that have water pipe hardware in the exhaust system, including elbows screwed into the exhaust port. You could take your muffler down to the the Home Depot and see what you can match it to.

The muffler on that engine is right where B&S wanted it. But isn't the exhaust port just threaded for something like 3/4" tapered pipe? You sure see a lot of bikes that have water pipe hardware in the exhaust system, including elbows screwed into the exhaust port. You could take your muffler down to the the Home Depot and see what you can match it to.
Thats what I did on my Sabre project its a Tec H35 side poper, I took off the hockey puck and used 1/2" aluminum electrical conduit and a hotdog muffler.

Thats what I did on my Sabre project its a Tec H35 side poper, I took off the hockey puck and used 1/2" aluminum electrical conduit and a hotdog muffler.
Interesting setup. Is there any mod to make my 5hp Briggs run quieter? Like the conduit rig and a different muffler? I sometimes ride around the neighborhood, and want to raise as little ruckus with the neighbors as possible.

yeah, its good, my briggs has a close mufffler like that, but no heat reeeaaalllllyyy radiates from it enough to seem a problem,