briggs CR and XR 950

Doc1976

Anyone have any experience with these motors? They appear to be another Honda/Predator/Clone engine. Just wondering if anyone has used one and what they thought of it. I have been a faithful Flathead user for years, but recently started working out of my comfort zone. Ive used a couple predators now and have been pleased, But I like the briggs name.

Harquebus

Well, if you're tracking on the engines Briggs is making these days, or not making, it's pretty safe to say this
one and many more in their OHV engine and Intek line sporting the bar and diamond logo on it are just Chinese clones.

It looks like one of many hundreds of clone variants with only a slight difference in the tin design (blower, fuel tank) and the muffler and air cleaner design.

Doc1976

not a real big briggs guy,but I pickup one of this in the pass and from google it , telling me it's a forged crankshaft, steel sleeve,and I believe a dual bearing motor. that could be a bad ass little motor if built right. kind of a poor mans animal motor when built up.
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/engines/utility-engines/cr950-series.html
Well, if you're tracking on the engines Briggs is making these days, or not making, it's pretty safe to say this
one and many more in their OHV engine and Intek line sporting the bar and diamond logo on it are just Chinese clones.

It looks like one of many hundreds of clone variants with only a slight difference in the tin design (blower, fuel tank) and the muffler and air cleaner design.
This is exactly what I was thinking. They all seem to be using the same casting, just changing a few parts. Just as you said.

joshua. c.

If your looking for a good quality briggs overhead valve motor that isn t a clone find yourself a used briggs inteck 206cc. 6.5hp. the racing parts for the animal racing engine all fit this motor so there are tons options. and they can be had cheep. for around 50$ at swap meets. when it comes to the briggs clones I don't like the fact that they caved to industry pressure like that and I'd certainly never buy one of there clones but unlike any other clone, briggs engines are sold at dealerships, meaning full parts support. you can buy any peace of a briggs engine just by bringing in the model numbers, find me any other clone that can do that.! I think that may justify the increased price. I'd be interested to find out if the briggs version was built better, after all some of there motors are put on industrial equiptment where a long service life is expected.

Briggs still makes some engines in the USA. such engines will have an american flag on the side of the starter cover. A lot of their engines are indeed made in china these day though. Didn't think they had a clone engine in their lineup, but they might. If so, it's Probably heavily modified so they don't incur the wrath of honda.

Last edited: