Briggs Crank Drilling Jig

I like making my own tools, especially if I need it often. I made this up a few years ago to deal with 2hp Briggs and Stratton crankshafts that are not factory threaded for a retaining bolt (to retain the clutch). It's as if they did not expect every engine to wind up on a go kart or mini bike some day.

Best made on a metal lathe, if you don't have one, make friends with someone who does. This one is made for a 5/8" output shaft and I am installing a 1/4-28 bolt. The dimensions are Length: ~2" outside diameter: 3/4" (not critical), Inside one end is 5/8" the other is 13/64". The 13/64" hole is drilled through, the 5/8" is drilled half of the length of the tool. it is best to finish the 5/8" hole with a boring bar to end up with a flat bottomed hole, but again, not critical.

How it's used, slide over the end of the shaft, insert a 13/64" drill bit into the end and drill to the depth you need to thread for a bolt, that's it.

This tool can be made to fit any size of shaft and provides a quick and dirty way to add a threaded hole to the end.

Hope someone can use this.

Attachments