Briggs engine questions

WLB

I have a Briggs OHV engine Model 115432, Type 0036-01, Code 96020149 It has a red flywheel cover

I have been able to determine from a parts list that it has a ball bearing side cover.

My questions are:
How could I find out (without tearing the engine apart) if the flywheel side has a ball bearing?
How can I find out (again, without tearing the engine apart) if the engine has a cast iron liner?

Thanks

That motor doesn't have a bearing on the flywheel side. As for a iron sleeve just get a small pick up magnet the ones that look like a pen and insert it in the spark plug hole. If there is an iron sleeve it will try to stick to it. Only motors that come to mind that had dual bearing were the ones Briggs turned into the Briggs Animal they were the 124000 series motors?!?

WLB

Thanks Bill, that is a good idea about using a magnet in the spark plug hole. I think I have one at the shop that will work.
From the parts diagrams I found for that engine it didn't look like it had two main ball bearings but I was hoping the red flywheel cover indicated it was an I/C motor which does have two ball bearings.

I took a look at the breakdown of the motor on partstree.com and it shows it is dual bearing. Your motor is a clone made for Briggs, some of Briggs motors are made in Japan by Mitsubishi,ie: Vanguard motors. No doubt Briggs is using China to make motors too as I have two Inteks made in China. Shame nothing American is safe anymore. Is your motor a Vanguard 4hp?

Last edited:

WLB

Thanks again Bill. There is no hp rating anywhere on the motor, nor is there the word Vanguard on it. My son did find another faded tag that indicates it was originally on a Coleman power washer. After looking all over the engine I found where it said "Made in Japan" so it likely was made by Mitsubishi.