Briggs Flathead Racing Cams

Whiz

Greetings to fellow minbikers. As I said in the title I have a question about cams for flatheads. I have quite a few of the legal .233 lift class racing cams that used to be the hot ticket. New. With these things you have to allow the intake valve to float and use a soft spring, I guess you can get around .315 when you set everything perfect. The problem is they are real hard on lifters and lifter guides because of the violence they cause to get there. So anyways, my question is, has anyone used one of these with a harder intake spring to make a little more power than a stock cam? I’d like to keep the easy spin, which these have. And since I have them I’d like to use them. Thnx Ale.

Whiz

Your question was probably too subject-specific and in the racing category which is a little bit beyond the scope of this forum.

Did you try the same question (or search the subject matter) at Bob's 4 Cycle Karting Forum?

Specifically in the Flatheads Forever subforum-- https://4cycle.com/karting/forums/flatheads-forever.10/
That place is very specific on their advice. What I've been told is just go with a 94SS and be done with it. Makes sense but I would like to use one of these just because I have it. Thanks for the reply. Al.

why not use the stock racing cams? degree them in and use the correct spring for the cam. the 94ss doesnt have the easy spin for ease of starting. gonna pop back on you and break pull cords.[ at least mine does anyway]

Those stock lift racing cams were "slapper" cams. You are correct that they were designed to loft the valve to get more lift than the lobe. Correct valve spring was critical. The 94SS is a great cam for a minibike there were a couple of others as well here is another good one.
DynoCams107SS.pdf

Years ago my son Jeff installed the Dyno 94-SS cam in a Briggs Raptor 3 engine that went on a 1967 Bonanza he built. (He was very happy with it and still has the bike.)
Michael

If you're looking to avoid slapper cams then the SS cams from Dynocams are the way to go. The only other real options for manufactured cams is comp cams and crane cams, also no longer made like the stock regrinds from Dynocams. Pretty sure the ones by Precision cams are all slappers.

Thepaetsguy

If you're looking to avoid slapper cams Pretty sure the ones by Precision cams are all slappers.
Thank you for mentioning this specifically!! Currently saving up as much cash to spare as I can and was looking at a pc2 cam.. I have zero way to get any work done at a shop at the moment. so a slapper is not an option until I find somebody local to weld aluminum blocks.