briggs help

Hey guys. I want to start by saying that I have never fully rebuilt an engine. I have a briggs 3ho engine and would like it to be my first rebuild. I have seen a few posts on what mods to do as you rebuild these but I am struggleing to find pics of how the mods are done or pics of a step by step rebuild. Any help would be awesome! Also, are all of these engines the same or do I need to know model numbers n such to buy the correct gaskets and what not ( where are these numbers )

A lot of them, the numbers are on the side of the blower housing (pull rope cover) or will be right on the front of it on a little aluminum tag, depending on year of the motor.. If you search the engines mods forum, there is a (how to) about the briggs flat heads that is a real good guide.. It might even be stickies right to the top of the posts..

Most all of the (parts) you would order are going to be different, but for the most part, all (LOOKS) about the same... So if you were going to port/polish it or remover eyebrows, shave your flywheel key dow, change coils out..... It's all going to look and work about the same... all just a little smaller..

i see.... is there any sort of "chiltons" for this rebuild. is there a step by step for a 5 horse i can use as a guide. i would buy a manual if there is one out there

oldfatguy

what year was your engine made ? I have parts drawings with part numbers for early 1960s 3hp engines. once you have the numbers off the shroud you can go to partstree.com and look up your engine. For the rebuild you will need a gasket set and and new piston rings. That is if you crank ,rod and piston aren't badly worn.Post some pictures and all of us here will be glad to help guide you through your first rebuild step by step

what year was your engine made ? I have parts drawings with part numbers for early 1960s 3hp engines. once you have the numbers off the shroud you can go to partstree.com and look up your engine. For the rebuild you will need a gasket set and and new piston rings. That is if you crank ,rod and piston aren't badly worn.Post some pictures and all of us here will be glad to help guide you through your first rebuild step by step
And Valves, Points(they wear out).