Briggs ID l/model help

I am trying to find out what model era Briggs I should be searching for. I would like to find an era correct Briggs 6hp for my tule trooper. The brochure says it would have been a 6hp Briggs and it looks like it had a blower shroud with an embossed b/s logo. But I am finding very little about a 6hp Briggs from this time period in the 60’s? Any info would be appreciated thanks

the Tule Trooper used a Briggs model 140000 (14 cubic inch) motor. This Briggs model had some confusion surrounding it. When first made, it was a 5 3/4hp version. It was upgraded to 6hp when the coil/flywheel were improved by changing the polarity of the flywheel magnets. Production stopped on the old coils and the new coils didn't work with the old flywheels. Information on this model was left out of many Briggs manuals due to this confusion.

Production stopped on the old coils and the new coils didn't work with the old flywheels. Information on this model was left out of many Briggs manuals due to this confusion.
As always, right here with good information Richard.

I ran right in to that, when attempting a solid state magneto conversion. Lucky for me, I had the new flywheel from a bad engine, which I swapped over, and it worked.

As far as these engines, aren't the 6, 7, and 8 horsepower flatheads pretty much interchangeable, and can't an old 6HP shroud be bolted on to a more common and later 8 HP engine?

Thank you both! Great information! I was hoping the shroud would bolt up to something else, that was going to be my follow up question , but you took care of that too! I just assumed the 8hp was Bigger block, this will make a much easier engine to find and dress up

So now that I know the 8hp is dimensionally the same I’ve been poking around for one and cave up with a follow up question, did they ever make an 8hp Briggs with a 3/4 inch shaft? Everything I find is a inch

I don't know what all you have with your Tule, but from my experience, virtually every bike that came with a belt type torque converter can be substituted with a Comet system. They (44 series for example) come in the 1" bore.

The other option is to disassemble the engine, remove the crank and have it turned by a machinist. I'd only do that if I were madly in love with my vintage, or proprietary clutch.

Another option, and excuse my ignorance of the Tule, is to take your vintage clutch, for example a Deepco 3/4" (If that is what it is) and sell or swap it for another version of the same clutch with a larger bore, or sell it and make enough money to buy the Comet.

Shooting from the hip here, but you do have options that can end up with your bike looking original, but running and operating a bit better than original.

That’s what I thought on the 8hp shaft.

H Dave, it is a 3/4 deepco and i really want to keep it, part of my interest with this bike was that it had most of the original parts, I think I’ll just go with a 5 hp and vintage tins, with the 2 speed gearbox I think it will be plenty to putt around on

Sounds good. Hopefully, we'll see some photos as you start to restore. :thumbsup: This sounds like it will be a great machine when you are done with it.

Doc1976

Congrats on finding a trooper with a working gearbox. I'm currently about 75% done with mine. I didn't have the gearbox basically just frame fork and storage box. I went with a tec 8 horse and comet converter.

Congrats on finding a trooper with a working gearbox. I'm currently about 75% done with mine. I didn't have the gearbox basically just frame fork and storage box. I went with a tec 8 horse and comet converter.
Thanks, just by luck it showed up somewhat near me, had to make a 2 hour round trip to get it, but it’s the only one I’ve ever come across here in Illinois, like a tote gote, always liked them, but have never seen one near me. I did start a build thread in the projects section, just haven’t got much farther than going through the gearbox... I like to take pics of my resto projects so I can look back on them, so there will be more to come