BRIGGS SNOW THROWER

delray

here something strange to see. well for me it is. over to my parent's house today and was using my dad's snow thrower and I thought I should post some pictures of this so called briggs snow thrower with what it look's to be a clone/honda motor in it. looks nothing like a intek,animal formula ...etc..
it even as the briggs logo on the valve cover. without doing ton of research is this a cheap china motor or something briggs is using this application. I wouldn't think they are making it themselves or are they? either way I thought it would be interesting for people to look at.

markus

I noticed that B&S has been putting there name on anything and everything lately, I see electric compressors air tanks, etc...Kinda like Coleman used to do (might still do it)

PatrickCraik

Big difference between the big box store B&S items and lawnmower or garden shop B&S items. I bought a mower from Home depot thinking I was saving some money. Wrong, junk! Nothing but trouble. the local lawn mower shop was supposed to be their warranty center. They were shitty to me,didnt want to be bothered. Got nowhere with Home depot. I gave it away and bought another from a different lawn mower shop. Lesson learned,Years ago a guy working @ yet another lawn mower shop told me the big box mowers are cheaper because they are not the same,they just look similar.

delray

Big difference between the big box store B&S items and lawnmower or garden shop B&S items. I bought a mower from Home depot thinking I was saving some money. Wrong, junk! Nothing but trouble. the local lawn mower shop was supposed to be their warranty center. They were shitty to me,didnt want to be bothered. Got nowhere with Home depot. I gave it away and bought another from a different lawn mower shop. Lesson learned,Years ago a guy working @ yet another lawn mower shop told me the big box mowers are cheaper because they are not the same,they just look similar.
remember when home depot started to sell the cheap john deere. i believe it was there L series. they had a big problem with the rearends/hydrostatic.....junk. better off buying a mtd/cub...still junk

Addicted 2 Minis

When we first bought our house 12 years ago, my wife wanted something cheap to mow the lawn with. I was deployed in Iraq at the time so I told her to just go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up something cheap as I was going to get a bigger tractor when I came home from deployment. She came home with a John Deere LA135 and I was like "Great!", that thing's not gonna last. We have ten acres that haven't had much attention from the previous owner for the last 5 years they owned the house, I knew it had it's work cut out for it ( no pun intended ). To my surprise, it still runs great, the only thing that I had to replace was the deck and that was from beating the CRAP! out of that thing for 8 years. The only reason we don't use it any more is because I backed into it, crushing the hood beyond repair and at that time I had the bigger tractor so it didn't matter. The funny thing is, my wife still wanted something to get around the trees with and something that she could get close to her flower beds. I told her to go out and get a Bad Boy, she said she liked her John Deere but wanted a bigger one. So she went out, against my wishes and got one of the bigger 2WD models ( 455X ). 150 hours later after she was finally tired of dealing with how much of a piece of crap it was, she went out and got a Bad Boy and LOVES it!, She couldn't wait to run circles around that John Deere with it, right where it left her. I tried not to rub it in too bad about how she should have listened to me... again!.

IMG_0286.jpeg IMG_0284.jpeg

Lifan and Loncin (China) have over run the small engine market, If you check their corporate websites their putting engines out like m&m's. Lifan makes the stationary style engines and Loncin makes the motorcycle style engines of 250cc or less. Their niche in the market has forced most manufactures to buy from them or go out of business.

In the long term, how long are they going to last?
here something strange to see. well for me it is. over to my parent's house today and was using my dad's snow thrower and I thought I should post some pictures of this so called briggs snow thrower with what it look's to be a clone/honda motor in it. looks nothing like a intek,animal formula ...etc..
it even as the briggs logo on the valve cover. without doing ton of research is this a cheap china motor or something briggs is using this application. I wouldn't think they are making it themselves or are they? either way I thought it would be interesting for people to look at.

In the long term, how long will they last.

old shed finds

Lifan and Loncin (China) have over run the small engine market, If you check their corporate websites their putting engines out like m&m's. Lifan makes the stationary style engines and Loncin makes the motorcycle style engines of 250cc or less. Their niche in the market has forced most manufactures to buy from them or go out of business.
I had bought a 6.5hp a Kohler thinking it would be king of shit. But Ha Ha...its just a predator 212 with Kohler stickers.same everything. ..covers ect..

delray

something else I wanted to ad to this. the oil that came with it was briggs synthetic oil. I believe it was a 5w-30. now isn't that special....lol

I74

They are all pretty much ''Far east" anymore.''
What they call ''Forged'' now, is basically less than what we called our cast stuff ,, back in the day.
I have drilled into their ''so called'' forged cranks,, & they cut pretty easy.
The Honda ones are pretty impressive though.
Think they kept up with it.
I

delray

I did little searching the otherday and found this clone/engine on ebay. it looks to be the same. the interesting part was the wires coming out of the engine.
clone 3-4 208.jpg
now you would think those wires must be for ground? well are they? the ground is tied into the other side with the shut off and not on the front side of the motor.
clone 208.PNG
so when I look up this motor it was showing it may have a lighted coil? it also shows a two plug outlet for ground,but still that should be running over to the back where the kill switch is?
alterbriggs208.PNG
right now you can find this engine on ebay for $129 and amazon. this might be amazon selling it on ebay? so I wonder if this is a lighted coil engine? either way with or without lighted coil the price not that bad for a new clone motor.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=382588590930
also found some internal spec's from a guy that builds clone motors and this is what he came up with.
clone briggs208cc.PNG

pomfish

Well considering it is a snowblower engine and most snowblowers have a headlight nowadays it probably would be a lighted version engine.
Hate all those plastic covers, they would have to be trimmed back or eliminated where possible.
Looks like good deal with the free shipping.

delray

person would end up buying one and it wouldn't have that same wires coming out of the motor like the picture and end up being a non-lighted coil or they are some kind of ground wires?