Briggs v Tec mounting

Forgive the basic question here, I've been away from small engines and mini bikes for twenty years. Do most of the small engines have a common mounting pattern or are Tecumseh totally different from Briggs small engines? The current cobbled up plate in my Shrike is set for a Briggs I/C 4 horsepower or similar, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a a HS 40 in there without having to drill into the plate. I'm assuming they were all different, but hoping against hope they may both fit.

Only problem most Briggs engines have the gas tank in the rear and most Tec's has the tank in the front. I have a Lil Indian Sabre that came with a Briggs engine from the factory, but the engine plate is so far forward that the Tec won't fit it with the gas tank on it. Good Luck !

Last edited:
Yeah, what he said /\

The base plate on my Fimco accepted the original Tec, and I've also bolted on B&S 3hp and 5hp engines and now it has a clone, all w/no mods to engine or bike. All of those engines have the same footprint. I really wanted to use the 5hp Briggs, but its large, rear-mounted tank fouls against the back tire. The tec has a front-mounted tank. The clone and the 3hp briggs w/its small tank both fit nicely into the available space w/no clearance problems. .