Build existing 196 HISUN or Buy a Tillotson

Have a CT200U-EX. Looking for more power and to do it properly. One route is spending ample amounts to upgrade the HiSun. Cam, rod, flywheel. Is it worth it do this or just start out with a faster engine like the Tillotson 212R claiming 10hp already out of the box for the same price as upgrading the HiSun? Look for best bang for the buck and something I could make fast as time goes.

There will be an intake, header, TAV & Gov delete regardless. Thoughts?

Sooner79

Have a CT200U-EX. Looking for more power and to do it properly. One route is spending ample amounts to upgrade the HiSun. Cam, rod, flywheel. Is it worth it do this or just start out with a faster engine like the Tillotson 212R claiming 10hp already out of the box for the same price as upgrading the HiSun? Look for best bang for the buck and something I could make fast as time goes.

There will be an intake, header, TAV & Gov delete regardless. Thoughts?
If the price is a wash, I’d buy the Tillotson pre-built, saving yourself the headache of making sure you’re doing everything just right and saving time, too (unless you’re wanting to do it yourself for the fun and experience). Then you can recoup $100 by selling your brand new Hisun. Also, you‘ll be getting a 3/4” shaft on the Tillotson 212 instead of the 5/8” on the Hisun.

SAS289

I agree with Sooner79. But I would want the fun and experience of building it myself. I would use the Hisun if I was in your situation. I'm near the end of a mild build on a NOS Greyhound and the cost isn't what I call mild. The reason I didn't build the Hisun I have is because I originally bought the Greyhound for a mini bike or go kart. I had the engine before I had my 2 Colemans and want to use the engine for what I bought it for. Otherwise I would have threw parts at the Hisun.

The Tillotson has 10HP, at what RPM? 3600?