Building a Hemi....for Dummies

I was thinking of all the people that come in here and ask questions about what they should do to their motors to get more hp. And to the newbee some of the answers might be confusing. So lets build a Hemi....
Step by step..... from the very start... as we go through each step I want to come to a concensus as to which part to use and why. As well as links as to where to get each part.. like I said. We will start with a Hemi....strip it down to the block.. and start with the block itself. Everything from removing the low oil sensor or not and why. Blocking the hole and how? Removing the governor or not and why? How? Blocking the hole? Put in a vent tube there? Why? Where to get the stuff to block the holes? Etc.... then maybe move onto other engines? Once a step is done then its done. On to the next step. And remember future steps may depend on what was done in the previous steps....
Remember this is for DUMMIES
Step 1)
How far should we strip the block down? Should we strip it down to nothing or just as far as we need to for completion of the step? Remember Step 1) Preparation of the Block.
I am assuming some people may lose parts that they may or may not need later.So keep that in mind.
I would remove the tank. Remove the oil sensor fill the hole and governor and fill the hole.
Where would anyone start or do? Remember this is for Dummies but we are building an engine with bolt on parts that can be bought. Modified parts will be fine as long as they can be bought and installed without any modifications such as welding,grinding or cutting.

Well...I'm no engine builder Randy but I like to strip my blocks down to nothing, oil sensor removed and hole plugged , governor rod removed and hole plug , and the governor gear shaft cut off and out of the block. I like to tap all my holes and loctite the plugs in. JMO

I agree. But as far as “tapping” the holes. Is this something “Dummies” can do? If so we need a link to the correct sized taps and hardware. I think we need to be as specific as possible to make it idiot proof. I suppose we can link to Youtube how to tap a hole. But we need the correct tool and parts list.:thumbsup:

Agreed Randy...maybe bolts with nuts I guess , I've seen people use them before. Looks kind of cheap to me but probably works OK and would be cheaper on the builder.

CarPlayLB

When I prep a block, I tap the top governor hole and after pushing the side pin through the case (the one the nylon gear rides on) I tap those holes 1/4-20 and use button allen screws with loctitie. I also like to tap the low oil sensor hole at 1/4" NPT nd use an aluminum or brass pipe plug. I don't like to use steel as you can crack the block and it will have a different expension rate. Aluminum is preferred.

Don't screw around and try to get the nylon gear off by removing the clip. I am two beers in before you can get it off! Just push the pin behind out with a punch and small hammer

Yea but we are talking about dummies with no tools ...right ???? I don't know ..I'm with CarPlay tapping the holes and using solid plugs is the way to go !

CarPlayLB

as some of you know, I get a ton tech calls! One thing I hear a lot is people want to "break in" the engine before doing a performance build. I hate that! Every Predator engine I have built has had junk in the case. Why let that polllute your engine, then build it? Take a brand new engine and build from there!
I am seeing a lot of casting flash in these engines. I take a dremel tool and remove all the casting flash and any that can come loose when running. Also look at the side cover for flash. There is typically a lot of flash where the dipsticks screw in. Knock all that suff down! Thank me later!

CarPlayLB

Yea but we are talking about dummies with no tools ...right ???? I don't know ..I'm with CarPlay tapping the holes and using solid plugs is the way to go !
You can also use a 1/4-20 self tapping bolt for those holes and a bolt/nut with a rubber washer to seal the low oil sensor.

I just think that building a performance engine will take a certain amount of tools to get done. Taps are not expensive!

CarPlayLB

After everything is deburred and plugged up, I take the block into the kitchen and run some hot soapy water (make sure the wife is away!) and scrub the block inside and out. I have found grit in every bore! Run a white, no lint rag, on the bore until you cannot see any black stuff. Use a nylon bristle brush for this. Once you are staified it is clean, spry the bearing with a LOT of WD40 and use some 30wt oil on the bore. The bore will start to rust almost immediately! Now you have a solid, clean, foundation to start your build

I use a lot of micro fiber shop towels when doing this!

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
Since the "dummy" is at harbor freight getting a 212 hemi, they should get a tap/die set. #61398-$9.99. Should work ok in an aluminum block. Going to need tools to build and install on a bike anyhow.

As far as brass,aluminum plugs for the same hole. Any links?
Also maybe in addition to the Thursday night OldMiniBikes livefeed. Maybe a weekly series of what we are talking about here. Keeping pace with this thread. Showing the removal of the gear. Tapping holes. Deburring etc. With links to as many of the OldMiniBikes parts that will work? Then people can use the videos for reference.

This is what I do for the oil sensor , tap out the hole with a 1/4 NPT tap this is a pipe thread and I get these 1/4 -18 plugs from my local parts store .

For the governor shaft hole I use a 1/4 -20 set screw , hole has also been tapped out with a 1/4-20 bolt tap .

In case the “dummies” don’t have a local parts store can you put a link to some that they can buy online. We want it to be simple so they can click and buy. Also “dummies” you can get Loctite while at Harbor Freight when you pick up your motor and tap set.

I agree. But as far as “tapping” the holes. Is this something “Dummies” can do? If so we need a link to the correct sized taps and hardware. I think we need to be as specific as possible to make it idiot proof. I suppose we can link to Youtube how to tap a hole. But we need the correct tool and parts list.:thumbsup:
Can use a black plastic ribbed push in rivet sold at Ace hardware for about 20 cents for the hole on top of the block. Also can use a thread forming screw... no taps needed.