Can i upgrade my Yamaha YG-1?

Hi guys, this is also my noob post.

I have a 1964 Yamaha YG-1, my 80cc 2 stroke was well over its limit, had a fried piston, i ordered a piston and am having engine bored.

As of now it will do just fine but does anyone know if i can upgrade to a bigger engine? Something to possibly get me to 65+ mph?

george3

Dont think you can find the hypo part any longer. check ebay for the head and rotary valve. you can only do so much with them. The rotery valve port is small, carb is in the case so limited to space port size. The trans shifting fork is lousy design misshifts easily. mine was fast but never fast enough, and I done everything. That was then good luck on that one.

george3

Hi guys, this is also my noob post.

I have a 1964 Yamaha YG-1, my 80cc 2 stroke was well over its limit, had a fried piston, i ordered a piston and am having engine bored.

As of now it will do just fine but does anyone know if i can upgrade to a bigger engine? Something to possibly get me to 65+ mph?
I finally did I bought a YZ250.

maverick1

Dont think you can find the hypo part any longer. check ebay for the head and rotary valve. you can only do so much with them. The rotery valve port is small, carb is in the case so limited to space port size. The trans shifting fork is lousy design misshifts easily. mine was fast but never fast enough, and I done everything. That was then good luck on that one.
Actually a ball lock transmission. Uses a rod and a group of balls to change gears.