Can J B Weld be used to weld on a kickstand? Chain tensioner?

I've got a kickstand and a bracket for a chain tensioner I want to weld onto my minibike.

I don't have a welder, don't know anyone that has one, and don't really want to find someone to weld these two things on. But I do have a tube of J B Weld.

Is that stuff strong enough for something like this? Or is there another alternative?

With the chain tensioner, I tried fashioning a bolt-on set up but it don't work well. I suspect I could find a bolt-on kickstand, but I've already got this kickstand that just needs welding on.

Anyone have positive or negative experience using J B Weld for something like this?

Thanks,

Doug

toomanytoys

I never tried to use it like that.

I've only patched holes in engine blocks, and a Polaris ATV transmission. Used it to patch cracks in fiberglass. Never tried actually using it to weld something.

Give it a try, whats the worst that can happen?

nooooooooooo, you will just be cleaning it off when you do end up taking it to a welding shop.
Clean everything and then go to a welding shop, I'd bet it wouldnt cost $20. if the items were already prepped and clean... and if your a kid, maybe free, if your not a kid, find one to roll yer' bike in and have a go.

or as mentioned, drill a hole and nut and bolt.

or bring it to my shop, kid or not I'll weld it up for free :)

Last edited:
I am going to give you the short answer. No. You will find your bike one day laying on it's side and the oil all over. As far as the clutch guard, When you need it to save your leg, it will fail.

Just a note, It can be done but not here. The surfaces have to be absolutely clean and clean beyond what your chemicals will do and the surfaces have to mate perfectly ie. machined surfaces. The epoxy used is NOT what you buy in a store.

This is not a lecture. It is just FYI.

Doc

JB Weld was just the thing to fix the broken handle on my wife's cheese slicer, but I wouldn't use it too attach that kickstand.

Okay, I got it. Not to be used for something like this.

I was going to drill a hole through the frame (1 inch tubing) and bolt it on, but thought that might weaken the frame.

Do you think it's okay to drill a hole or two in the bottom of the frame (one for the kickstand, one to attach a chain tensioner)? This would probably be to accept a 3/8 inch bolt (or 5/16 inch).

Take it by your local muffler shop should only cost a few bucks or most high schools or college's have a metal shop most of the time they will do it for free. Good luck.

KB2ROCKET

they shouldnt use the the word weld in JB weld
its more like
JB filler
JB glue
JB to cheap to fix it right
JB I cant find a replacment part
JB Im going to sell this thing as soon as I plug this hole :)