Can you ID this Briggs?

NorCal

So appearly I have this uncanny ability to find engines with no serial numbers on them (its a gift I guess). This 5hp I picked up 5 years ago and it ran when parked (don't they all) but now I have no spark. I sanded on the flywheel and the magneto and I still have no spark. So I figured I need a new magneto but without knowing what this engine is, I'm at a loss as to which part to order. I looked at the magneto looking for some identifable part number to no avail.

Granted I'm new to the hobby and just learning, so I figured maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

Found this guy, looks simular?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=162106072799

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

Last edited:
If those pics are your engine, you have, or should have the numbers. They should be on the bottom side of your fan shroud. Sometimes, when too much paint is applied, the numbers get obscured. Try some fine grit sandpaper. Start about where you pull start rests and work around to the other side of the shroud. If you sand lightly enough to reveal the bare metal, but not start scraping it away, you should be able to read the numbers.

NorCal

If those pics are your engine, you have, or should have the numbers. They should be on the bottom side of your fan shroud. Sometimes, when too much paint is applied, the numbers get obscured. Try some fine grit sandpaper. Start about where you pull start rests and work around to the other side of the shroud. If you sand lightly enough to reveal the bare metal, but not start scraping it away, you should be able to read the numbers.
Didn't find them underneath the fan shroud, but along the side under several layers of paint.

Model Type Code
130202 0015 01 78042506

Serial #
B-143925

NorCal

Your 1978 5hp engine was built on April 25, of that year. The 130202 is a good, solid engine, with roots leading to the much acclaimed Raptor. Mine was made 2 years, minus one day, after yours.
Might try to build this one with a Raptor piston/rod assessbly, springs and valves, and a Mikuni carb. Along with getting rid of those points.

Took this one apart today. Internals on this thing were flawless! Great candidate for this kind of build!

Last edited:
You make a good point. If it runs and doesn't smoke, has good compression, putting an electronic coil in it, and converting to a better carb, would make a nice running, quick responding engine. You will still need another tank, as the original does not play well with the replacement carb. But any tank you can make work will suffice. The whole conversion costs about $100. About $30 for the PZ22 carb, about $25 for the stock Briggs and Stratton manifold, (must be slightly modified.drilled out), $15 for the electronic coil and your tank.

old shed finds

Your 1978 5hp engine was built on April 25, of that year. The 130202 is a good, solid engine, with roots leading to the much acclaimed Raptor. Mine was made 2 years, minus one day, after yours.
I got lucky and got this 1979 .
With fresh points and carb rebuild it is a performing engine.
Its original color is the metallic dark Grey .

Attachments

NorCal

Can't seem to locate a coil for this thing to save my life, anyone got a link to the correct coil they could through my way?

JB has provided you with the correct Briggs part # and they are all over the internet (eBay). I have only purchased the OEM Briggs coils- never tried an after market one.
Michael