Can you put a new 6 inch comet driven 20 or 30 series on a Rupp Roadster 2 Jackshaft?

GustoGuy

There are 3 styles of Comet TAV. Comet 20 series and 30 series. I am pretty sure the 40 Series would be way too big for a minibike.

The 20 series is symmetrical belt \/ and the 30 series is asymmetrical \ [.

Which one will fit better onto the factory Rupp secondary jackshaft?

Which TAV (20 series or 30 series) would be better for a slightly modded Predator 212cc with a stage 1 or stage 2 NR racing kit? I see the 30 series is available in a 6 inch driven and so is the 20 series. I already have a 30 series primary on my old Tecumseh HS40 from 1995 and it would likely save me money just to buy a 30 series driven. I want to buy a factory 20190602_205218_resized.jpg style Rupp belt cover so I can't go bigger than a 6 inch driven.

Original vs 20 series....
20 series fits perfect. No mods. The driven spring faces inboard which sits where the swing arm angles in. If you runn a 30 series it will stick out further and rub the cover. You can make brakes to hold a TAV cover on which I like better than the originals because the plastic is more flexible so it bends and doesnt crack as easily as the stock cover. 9EC87EF9-37DC-48A1-BE50-D94559323C2A.png A59F204F-B110-42B9-A6D6-9B6499039A5C.png 9F0AF9C5-E59A-4CFD-ABB4-F3EBE2E56999.png 9EC87EF9-37DC-48A1-BE50-D94559323C2A.png 9F0AF9C5-E59A-4CFD-ABB4-F3EBE2E56999.png

GustoGuy

Since I don't own a Rupp cover I could just get a TAV 30 series secondary and a TAV 2 cover. I already own a 30 series primary anyway and I will get a brand name Comet 30 series secondary. Should I go for a 7 inch secondary over the 6 inch so it will be a torque monster? I heard will a built Clone and a good motocross tire it will trench like a Ditch Witch if you want it to. The Comet TAV cover looks good on the BlueWidow.

Since I don't own a Rupp cover I could just get a TAV 30 series secondary and a TAV 2 cover. I already own a 30 series primary anyway and I will get a brand name Comet 30 series secondary. Should I go for a 7 inch secondary over the 6 inch so it will be a torque monster? I heard will a built Clone and a good motocross tire it will trench like a Ditch Witch if you want it to. The Comet TAV cover looks good on the BlueWidow.
The 7” 30 series will stick out and rub the cover. And it wont fit over the 7” without cutting it up.

cfh

I have a lot of bikes with both 30 and 20 series units. Frankly i don't really see the difference in performance. But if a bike is designed for a 20 (inward expansion), you should probably stay with that. The 30 (outward expansion) just takes a lot more room.

GustoGuy

I already own a TAV 30 series primary. It was on my old HS40 engine. I know this engine has never been on the bike because it had the stock Rupp secondary still on it and that will not work with a TAV 30. I also heard that the Asymmetrical drive on the TAV 30 allows for up to 10% overdrive over the TAV 20. Plus it will cost me more money to buy buy both a TAV 20 primary and secondary over the 30 series secondary only.

Looking at the picture this is definitely a TAV 30 primary. So I need a cover anyway and the Torque Verter style brand cover will fit on the 30 series. I seen brand name comet secondary 30 series for every bit as cheap as 20 series plus I can save money on not having to buy a primary

20190602_205218_resized.jpg

cfh

i would do it original style. close 20 series are available. i just bought a clone 20 driven unit, it was $27 including shipping. the drive units are even cheaper.

GustoGuy

i would do it original style. close 20 series are available. i just bought a clone 20 driven unit, it was $27 including shipping. the drive units are even cheaper.
Do you have the link to the website if I can get a great deal on it along with a reproduction stock looking Rupp Tav cover I may go for the 20 series primary and (secondary in the 6-inch size). Otherwise, I have a brand name 30 series Primary just sitting there on my old HS 40 engine so I would save money by just getting a 30 series secondary and a Comet style TAV cover

GustoGuy

my 30 series was fab under a comet style cover and then I fab up backing plate for the cover to mount too. so I did not use the rupp cover.
I see you put a 30 series TAV on your souped-up HS40 engine. You also mentioned that it did not perform as well as you like. Did you originally use the 20 series Comet style driver and driven before. I heard the 10% overdrive of the 30 series can sometimes bog engines with additional load especially on large wheel bikes.

GustoGuy

Original vs 20 series....
20 series fits perfect. No mods. The driven spring faces inboard which sits where the swing arm angles in. If you runn a 30 series it will stick out further and rub the cover. You can make brakes to hold a TAV cover on which I like better than the originals because the plastic is more flexible so it bends and doesnt crack as easily as the stock cover. View attachment 245360 View attachment 245361 View attachment 245362 View attachment 245360 View attachment 245362
I really like what you did to your BlueWidow Rupp. I like the "BlueWidow" Decals you had made for it. What is your top speed and what engine mods have you done to your Honda Clone?