caper cycle brakes....

markus

5" or 6" wheels? the 5" on mine used a small 4" brake made by comet, 6" probably used a 5" fairbanks brake as that was pretty standard in that time period.

Marcus, thanks for your help ,pic below.bike has no hump! I was going to replace the center hub assembly since I can’t find brake shoes. Any suggestions? I took this on a trade. image.jpg

markus

Yea those are Fairbanks, they have gotten harder to find, Fox used them till about 1964, Rupp used them early on, and Bonanza used them as well on the early lighting bolt badged bikes far as the bike bike makers of that time went. Everyone swapped over to Bendix for some reason even though Fairbanks offered them well into the 1970's and maybe later than that. You can reline them in a pinch, your springs look pretty trashed though, I know another member was on the hunt for the springs when he bought me out of the NOS shoes I had left, I dunno if he ever located a replacement for them or not.

Marcus, thanks for your help ,pic below.bike has no hump! I was going to replace the center hub assembly since I can’t find brake shoes. Any suggestions? I took this on a trade. View attachment 253920
Yea those are Fairbanks, they have gotten harder to find, Fox used them till about 1964, Rupp used them early on, and Bonanza used them as well on the early lighting bolt badged bikes far as the bike bike makers of that time went. Everyone swapped over to Bendix for some reason even though Fairbanks offered them well into the 1970's and maybe later than that. You can reline them in a pinch, your springs look pretty trashed though, I know another member was on the hunt for the springs when he bought me out of the NOS shoes I had left, I dunno if he ever located a replacement for them or not.
ok thanks not sure at this point ,may try another set of shoes ,the hub is in good shape. Thanks again image.jpg

markus

Looks nice!!! Remember you can just use another 5" brake assembly but the backing plate wont match up well and you will have to make it fit. I am upgrading mine as the 4" brake drum/hub is damaged badly. I want to give one more shot tying to find a drum/sprocket and brake small enough to fit and still look pretty correct maybe off a Taco, but I already have a 6" wheel setup based off a later Fox campus wheel that I may go with. I will be using a steel backing plate 1970-up Bonanza brake assembly as they are smooth plate like the orginals were and I can mod that to look right. I am wanting to avoid going to 6" wheel but they seemed to transition to the 6" sometime in 1962 (which is what my caper is).