Carb problems and upgrade kits

Hey guys,
I'm a newbee here. Nice forum! Anyways, I picked up a little Doodle Bug for $100. It was only a few weeks old. The owner was frustrated cause he could never get it to run well. Idles but dies when given gas. I've played with the mix and the choke and I can't get it to run very well either.

I've read a ton of threads here about bad carbs and carb kits (that only one dude sells???) and I've read guys talking about not wasting the money on a new carb and just going with a 6.5hp upgrade. I've seen a number of upgrade kits out there. Who makes a better one or are they all about the same? I see OldMiniBikes makes a kit but it don't see it on their site and I can't seem to find a link. I'm just trying to get my arms around this whole thing and checking out my options.

Thanks,
Bob

buckeye

Well Bob, first off, welcome to OldMiniBikes!
Second, you mean engine swap upgrade or are you trying to make chicken soup outta chicken chit?

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards an engine swap. Is there a link for the kit on OldMiniBikes.com or should I just pick up the phone and give them a call?

BTW, I picked up a new carb from a local guy. Bolted it on and it runs like a champ. Great for lightweights but I think I need more power :) Still thinking about an engine swap.