carburator of choice?

The choice of carburettor depends on aplication.

Idealy some one needs to go through a box of junk carbs from the pre emission days and identify something that is easily modified to fit toe GX head, has an adjustable idle and high speed screw and can be addpated to the clone governer link.

This will eliminate 70% of the troubles the first engine has and its something that has abit more pep too it thats OK too.

I am leaning towrads the Carter N used on old Onan, Wisconsin, Kohlers, Lauson and some Clintons at this point. But I am not the kind that sits on a lot of old parts so I will have to shop around and see what is what next time I am bin box diving.

jp, you know my take on this subject:doah: i'm not fully versed yet in anything but the clone oem carb. i'm getting there on the 304wx though. As I said before, I think I might buy a 22mm Mikuni and see how it works as straight "bolt-on" to the set up on my current motor and see if it works for just cruising around. The Tillotson will be for racing, if/when I get the group together here in SA. I have a Mikuni knock off on my Kikker 110cc and it runs like a charm. However, we're talking apples and oranges on that subject.

Step back for a minut and look at the problem:

You need an inexpensive carb that is easy to adjust and if possible offers some performance upgrade:

Tillotson and Wallies fit this bill.
However I would like to remind you guys there are thousands of other small engine carbs that predate the Tier I regulations out there. You find them on just about any old small engine and even outboard motors if you were realy interested in something different

NR are has a kit to add metering screw to the main jet on Honda carbs.

It can be simple or you can make things complicated.....

i dont know your setup but i run a 274 0207 cam and the mikuni works great out of the box besides idleing but a jet and needle hight change fixes that. i have a knock off that says pz27 i think the animal is a walbro pz18? i hear they work great to open a clone up.

korndog

i dont know your setup but i run a 274 0207 cam and the mikuni works great out of the box besides idleing but a jet and needle hight change fixes that. i have a knock off that says pz27 i think the animal is a walbro pz18? i hear they work great to open a clone up.
Animal is a PZ22 and World Formula is PZ26. the real ones are good carbs.

I just bought a new take-off flojet off an I/C briggs on Ebay and am getting the quirks out. First off they're not new take-offs in case anyone is wondering although they are advertised as such. My hands dont work so good on small stuff so a buddy helped me set the float and kit it. Works like a charm now and allows me to drop the briggs fiver into a minibike that would normally require a Tecumseh! I'm sending Korndog the Tillotson HL189 I recently scored off Ebay for $25 shipped with a lawson air cleaner assembly attatched to it. It will require some work and Korndog is IMO the resident Tilly expert, so I know it'll be ready to go when it comes home!:thumbsup: Till I try other carbs I wont really have a favorite or a carb of choice. I hear Mikunis and PZs are good too, I am only familiar with the bigger motorcycle Mikunis and the PZ or PZ type on some bikes but for small engine stuff I'm still taking in info! :thumbsup:

I just bought a new take-off flojet off an I/C briggs on Ebay and am getting the quirks out. First off they're not new take-offs in case anyone is wondering although they are advertised as such. My hands dont work so good on small stuff so a buddy helped me set the float and kit it. Works like a charm now and allows me to drop the briggs fiver into a minibike that would normally require a Tecumseh! I'm sending Korndog the Tillotson HL189 I recently scored off Ebay for $25 shipped with a lawson air cleaner assembly attatched to it. It will require some work and Korndog is IMO the resident Tilly expert, so I know it'll be ready to go when it comes home!:thumbsup: Till I try other carbs I wont really have a favorite or a carb of choice. I hear Mikunis and PZs are good too, I am only familiar with the bigger motorcycle Mikunis and the PZ or PZ type on some bikes but for small engine stuff I'm still taking in info! :thumbsup:
Wrong section, sorry thought we were talking briggs!:doah: