Carter bro mini monster wiring

River Rat Ron

Couldn’t find a wiring diagram for that but judging by the parts list it’s very easy to figure out.
First off that kart originally had a Tecumseh motor electric start, battery etc…

That being said if your Briggs motor doesn’t have electric start it likely won’t run a light system, unless by chance it has the proper coil for lighting. Let’s determine that now before we go further.

Do you see any wiring / plug coming from under the fan shroud?
Usually a square plug with 3 or 4 wires ? I believe 3….been awhile

If it’s only one wire exiting from the shroud that’s your engine kill ( magneto ) wire usually black, engine is not equipped with a lighting coil.

If your motor has more than one wire then we can proceed , you will need a multi meter and know how to use it. From there I’ll be able to draw you a wiring diagram.

4F8227AE-B650-44DB-95B7-26E2633DE385.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. It may be a Tecumseh if they made a flat head.

It has electric start.
It has one wire coming from the front of the motor above shatter.

It has 2 small wires coming from the back of the motor that appear to have been cut.

I have the key switch wired to the starter and solenoid

River Rat Ron

Ok….obviously it’s not charging, have you ran the motor ( jump start etc )if so did the key switch kill the motor when turned to off.
The two small wires that are cut are they encased in a sheath?

Last edited:
No. Lights works. Making sure the motor is wired correctly. It turns over. No fire at the plug.

I have the wire going from the starter prong on the switch to the solenoid. Does that kill the motor with the switch as well?

River Rat Ron

No. Lights works. Making sure the motor is wired correctly. It turns over. No fire at the plug.

I have the wire going from the starter prong on the switch to the solenoid. Does that kill the motor with the switch as well?
Well it sounds like the coil kill switch wire is grounding or a bad coil (rare) Pull the two cut wires apart so they aren’t by chance touching. The wire from the switch to the solenoid only engages the solenoid so it will crank. How did you confirm the plug isn’t firing,

Last edited:
I also think it's something with the kill but not certain.

Does the wire on the front above the starter go to the ign on the switch? Would that kill the motor with the switch? See wire in attached pic (not mine but similar)

Pulled plug wire. Held rubber part and placed it right above plug to watch for fire to jump. Nothing.

Attachments

River Rat Ron

…ok no spark. Let’s see…yes the kill switch wire should go to the switch. Dos that motor have another kill switch on the shroud? My guess is no.

Last edited:

River Rat Ron

Ok…yikes…it’s simple stuff but communicating like this is rough there should be 3 terminals on the starter switch possibly 4 if lights aren’t on a separate switch
Battery
Solenoid
* Lights
Ground
Any one in the wrong spot won’t work…I’d trace them out with a volt meter to be sure.
I would pull the shroud and find the wires coming from the coil, probably have to pull the flywheel…don’t lose your key way.
One wire will be pos. 12 v when running, one will be ground and one will be a kill switch wire which should be separated from the other two.

In person it’s a no brainer in person.
I’ll draw out a wiring diagram tomorrow hopefully that will help. In order for this to work you’ll need a multimeter to establish which pole on switch goes where. Once we find the kill switch wire and isolate it the thing should fire the plug anyway. The last two wires from the motor are for charging, we’ll worry about them last.

Last edited:
No kill switch on the shroud.
Key switch has start, acc, ign and battery.

I was thinking the red wire out of the front may go to the ign post on the key switch. I was unsure if the coil needed power. Only way I could see the key then turning the motor off as well.

Should the 2 small wires on back just be clipped and not connected to anything?

I appreciate your help.

River Rat Ron

No kill switch on the shroud.
Key switch has start, acc, ign and battery.

I was thinking the red wire out of the front may go to the ign post on the key switch. I was unsure if the coil needed power. Only way I could see the key then turning the motor off as well.

Should the 2 small wires on back just be clipped and not connected to anything?

I appreciate your help.
You’re very welcome….not sure I’m helping :D
No, no power needed to the coil. How many wires are connected to the ignition switch?
I’m guessing the two clipped wires are for charging, make sure they aren’t touching. And that’s a wild guess.
I’ve seen these wires from the coil get loose and cut by the flywheel. I’ll try and eliminate pulling that for now

Last edited:
You’re very welcome….not sure I’m helping :D
No no power needed to the coil. How many wires are connected to the ignition switch?

Excluding the lights which would be irrelevant to the engine starting, wire from the battery to the bat post on the switch. Wire from the st post on switch to the small prong on the solenoid.

River Rat Ron

Excluding the lights which would be irrelevant to the engine starting, wire from the battery to the bat post on the switch. Wire from the st post on switch to the small prong on the solenoid.
So the posts are marked, didn’t know that either, sweet ok…saves chasing each terminal which was where I was going with that

So there is one wire from the coil that is grounding somewhere or a bad coil…..or
One last thing….on the switch you have lights, starter and battery is any other wire connected?
Reason I ask is now we’re trying to eliminate a bad switch. If there is a 4th wire disconnect it and try starting again

Last edited:

River Rat Ron

Ok…I had no way of knowing that either. Just trying to eliminate things as we go. I’ll repeat there is one wire on the coil aside from the one to the plug that when grounded kills the motor. It’s either grounded somewhere or the coils titts up. Good luck sorry I did all I can given the circumstances

Ok…I had no way of knowing that either. Just trying to eliminate things as we go. I’ll repeat there is one wire on the coil aside from the one to the plug that when grounded kills the motor. It’s either grounded somewhere or the coils titts up. Good luck sorry I did all I can given the circumstances
I appreciate it!