Carter brothers sportster model 1006-3015

Well Joe, you picked probably the most hated minibike on the forums lol! I bought mine new in 1999 and I love it. You will find that others aren't so enamored with it.

Having said that, you have one of the most solidly built, fastest factory bike using a 4-stroke lawn mower engine. It's an excellent bike and handles really well. I haven't hit top speed yet but what speed I did make scared the hell out of me. This thing is incredibly powerful and fast.

Now for the bad. This was only produced for approximately 1-1/2 years by Carter Brothers in Alabama I believe. The company was sued for patent infringements on the name by Harley Davidson. Here's where I may get a little fuzzy. Carter Bros. had 3 factory fires. I believe one of them was around the time production ended for this bike. SOOO either the suit or fire officially ended the Shortster 1005-3015.

Having said all that crap above...here is the bad. There are no and have not been ANY parts available for close to 20 years. Obvious off the shelf stuff you can get but Shortster specific just does not exist. I can tell you that most of these bikes were highly abused and finding used in any kind of reasonable shape is difficult. Yours is one of the best I've seen even in the shape it is in. I don't know what to tell you as to where to find what you are looking for. I do wish you luck and if you get it up and going, you're gonna love it!!!! By the way, I live about 40 minutes from you in Palmyra. If you ever want to stop by for a visit, let me know.

Pictures taken at the Valley View Bike Night, August 2017.

Doc

Shortster.jpg
Shortster 1.jpg
Shortster 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well Joe, you picked probably the most hated minibike on the forums lol! I bought mine new in 1999 and I love it. You will find that others aren't so enamored with it.

Having said that, you have one of the most solidly built, fastest factory bike using a 4-stroke lawn mower engine. It's an excellent bike and handles really well. I haven't hit top speed yet but what speed I did make scared the hell out of me. This thing is incredibly powerful and fast.

Now for the bad. This was only produced for approximately 1-1/2 years by Carter Brothers in Alabama I believe. The company was sued for patent infringements on the name by Harley Davidson. Here's where I may get a little fuzzy. Carter Bros. had 3 factory fires. I believe one of them was around the time production ended for this bike. SOOO either the suit or fire officially ended the Shortster 1005-3015.

Having said all that crap above...here is the bad. There are no and have not been ANY parts available for close to 20 years. Obvious off the shelf stuff you can get but Shortster specific just does not exist. I can tell you that most of these bikes were highly abused and finding used in any kind of reasonable shape is difficult. Yours is one of the best I've seen even in the shape it is in. I don't know what to tell you as to where to find what you are looking for. I do wish you luck and if you get it up and going, you're gonna love it!!!! By the way, I live about 40 minutes from you in Palmyra. If you ever want to stop by for a visit, let me know.

Hello there! As you said about the pparts I just picked this bike up yesterday when I saw it I new it was special and had to have it. Iam 64 years old and have had my share of bikes including motorcycles I always say I have been blessed. And now that Iam older I like getting the things I missed out on when I was a kid. I picked up some good older 1960 70s bikes this summer. I will send a picture of them today with post I just took a picture tonight making more room in gaurage today. The bike is not really missing that much just neede to get into the right hands to be put back right. I went on the web sights to see how they attached the rear disc on but don’t see any pictures of hoe the caliper fits on the bracket that is bolted on rear? Iam pretty good at fabricating things and I got a feeling some other bikes or manufacturers have a caliper that will work. Every thing else except finding the original front fender is pretty easy to fix And available. Your bike is really beautiful did you do all the xtra ginger bread on it? Was wondering if the wind shield was an option as the saddle bags? Was wondering if you went to south east school? My daughters Kristy and Shelby McGinnis graduated from there around 1999 and 2001. From there. I know the area pretty well. Small world!!!! Would like to come see your bike one day if that’s ok? Thanks again for taking the time to respond back so soon I just joined the web site last night. Watch for more post I have a lot to show and talk about especial the things I had and grew up with. Joe Cuyahoga falls ohio

Doc

View attachment 253740
View attachment 253741
View attachment 253742

Doc

View attachment 253740
View attachment 253741
View attachment 253742

Attachments

joshua. c.

I saw these in northern tool when they firs came out they weren't there for long. personally I wanted one for the setup ( full suspension with a big engine and a torque converter) but I find they aren't that pretty they look ok but not amazing. it looks like they were very close to making a very beautiful bike but every part was made just off enough to prevent that. I would buy one for the right price and I'd fix that. id raze the front fender off the wheel a bit, extract the headlight and mount it better, choose a better tank and seat, the tank should be more rounded in the front and the rear of it should touch the seat and the seat should be no wider than the metal tail peace behind it. and a flat top pleated seat would look better and add longer rear shocks to bring the back up a bit. and make a new swing arm that's strait between the wheel mount and the pivot point. and add a nice looking rear fender. I think this bike could potentially go from looking ok to being one of the prettiest bikes around with these mods.

as far as parts your going to have to get creative. maybe you could buy one of these axle mounted go kart disk brake setups and put it on the jack shaft. or there are several types of mechanical brake calipers for sale so maybe you could make one of those work for you and make a new mount for it.

also if you think this bike is fast now you should see its true potential. this engine can be modded with grate success. there are a few good build threads hear about it. I have one on my trike and I've nearly doubled the power output and top speed. I recently was doing donuts in my backyard with it.

Addicted 2 Minis

Looking for parts for this . i really need the rear disc brake unit. And other things. joe
Those appear to be Azusa 10" wheels and going by what pictures I have seen (very blurry ones I might add) it looks like it may use the old style go kart mechanical disc brake and caliper setup similar to the picture below. They make them with different arm and disc setups, just do a search for go kart mechanical disc brake, might get you in the right direction anyhow.

s-l640.jpg

Hello there I believe your right on. I found it on power sports and it’s also on sale. Iam going to call them on monday to make sure. It says they used them on carter karts. The picture looks just like yours. I have to make sure it will fit the sprocket thickness. They also sell the bracket which I already have if it’s the same. Next I have to figure out how the stop light switch fits on. I know Iam missing some kind of a bracket for it as the parts schematic indicate. The front fender is going to be a tough one if I want to keep it original which they cheapen it by plastic? But that’s the 90s for you. I got a lot of response on it mostly negative. But I know by the way it’s set up it has Getty up in it. The bikes today have come a long way from my old foremost which was a JC penny’s bike in 1968!!!!! I saved up 99.00 bucks for it new!!! If you had something with a jack shaft in my day you had the Cadillac of minibikes!!! I have 12 grand kids now and love watching them ride them. will send picture of my Holly Grail of minibikes at least in my heart!!!! its a beast. thanks again for info if come across any leads on plastic fender let me know. Joe in cuyahoga falls ohio.

Attachments

Some mopeds and scooters use that size tire, I would just look for a fender that looked right and not worry about being original. As far as the bike itself, I think it looks pretty cool, I probably wouldn't own it because it looks more like a motorcycle than a mini bike but it does look comfy.